1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Mustang Parts Compatibility MIJ/MIA/MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by korngold, Feb 7, 2014.

1. korngold

korngold Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at piecing together a bass using:

Fender MIA Musicmaster Neck (19 Frets) - late 70s
    Fender MIM Mustang "Pawn Shop" body
    or Fender MIJ Mustang Body

Am I going to hit a lot of snags here? Would 1 of those bodies work better with the MIA neck?

Thanks!
  2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Your main concerns will be with bridge location. Depending on Neck to body combinations, the scale length will need to be correct for the neck. Neck to body fit may also be a issue.
    To avoid this, get a body and neck that are both 34" scale or both 30" scale.
    Rocky
  3. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

I've wondered about the interchangeability of these parts as well, since I prefer the MIJ Mustang body and pickup, but the MIA Musicmaster's chunky neck feels much beefier, making expressive string bending and the like much easier.

Anyone have any such 30" Frankenfenders?
  4. korngold

korngold Supporting Member

Both are 30" scale. I was just curious if the neck pockets were the same or if I'm going to hit a snag trying to fit these parts.

The other option I was considering was a Squier body + MIA Musicmaster Neck. I know. It sounds like blasphemy, but the Squier mustangs have some cool bodies! Hopefully, they dont' weigh 10 pounds...