FENDER NECKS DO FIT SQUIER CLASSIC VIBE P BASSES

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dannyrobertsonv, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dannyrobertsonv

Dannyrobertsonv

Okay so I joined this forum to just put an old question to rest. If you are like me and has been looking about for information regrading the compatibility of Fender necks and Classic vibe (specifically the 60s p bass) bodies you will have seen lots of mixed opinions and ideas of the likelihood of it working. Well I bought an official Fender MIM bass neck from andertons and I can happily report that the neck DOES FIT straight onto the body without any mods or re drilling. Both the fender and classic vibe neck are the same in measurements. The only thing you will have to replace is the tuning heads. The tuning heads are not built for MIM necks. So this tells us that, classic vibe basses are built to fender specs (for the most part) which means you can swap necks/bodies/pick guards between Fender and CV. BUT cheaper squiers are not built to fender specs so don't try. COOOL well I have some setting up to do (I literally put the neck on half an hour ago)
    Oh since I'm new I better say some stuff about me.
    I'm Danny, I'm the bassist of the band Cathedrals and Cars, I used to be a session bassist but settled down. Any questions about this post please ask :)

2. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
    Wouldn't it have been easier to just put a Fender decal on the Squier neck? :bag:

I keed I keed....:ninja:

3. Dannyrobertsonv

Dannyrobertsonv

I stripped the truss rod nut on the original neck my friend :( So I had to buy a replacement. I wouldn't of even thought about replacing the neck if it wasn't "****ed"

4. yulibatta

yulibatta

There are tools to remove a stripped nut, and it likely would have been cheaper than another neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

I bought a MIM P-Bass neck from the Fender website.
    It fit perfectly on a Squier Affinity body I had laying around.
    The Fender site does say they will fit both Fender & Squier bodies - It did for me.

7. Dannyrobertsonv

Dannyrobertsonv

No where in the UK sells them. And to order the tool from the states would cost £100 upwards after shipping. Plus no one where I live is capable of carrying out the task of fixing it. I'm confident I made the best decision, I'm not telling people I have a fender! :D

8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I think it's great that it worked out for you. I'm not surprised that it fit, most Fender standard replacement necks will fit a Squier. Enjoy the new neck.

9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage. Supporting Member

I've honestly never had a Squier or Fender neck or body not fit each other. Maybe a couple pairings were slightly loose in the neck pocket, but they still played just fine.

10. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Thank you for the info. It's hard to get a straight answer on such a subject, and I too was wondering if they were interchangeable.

Now the next question: What's under the paint? I saw one stripped CV, and it looked as good as any other 3 piece body.