Fender Neo cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Anyone got any experience with these new Fender Neo cabs beyond the honeymoon phase?

I'd be interested to hear how they stack up against the Markbass range?

2. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Well, my first date with the 115 was kinda disappointing... so no honeymoon planned.
    Dunno 'bout her sisters tho...

3. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

hmm thats disappointing :( even though I'm more interested in the 410 or 610, but the sound I am after is a more modern clean vibe and I have a feeling these were voiced for the new tube heads...

4. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

I have a 410 neo on order, but they're nowhere to be found right now. The guitar show just happened here in Dallas, so I'm hearing rumors of everything from they're making no more neo's beyond what's been shipped to the increased price in neodymium (sp?) has forced them to go to ceramic so there's a delay because of that to Fender really wants to push the 610 for the 100T head so they're not making a bunch of 410's and on and on. So I don't know what's going on. I have a cab ordered from Sweetwater, and they say they have a shipping conformation but not an eta, and my guy says they wouldn't send a conformation if they weren't coming. So guess I'll be patient.
    I'm looking to go more toward vintage, which is why I got the 100T head, and am moving from Hartke 410XL to the neo, which I'm hoping has a more vintage sound. So we're looking for opposite things here. I haven't heard the cabs, and I hate to buy a cab like a woman buying shoes to match her purse, but damn that's a hot looking combo with the head. But if it sucks I won't hesitate to send it back.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I'm also currently using two Hartke 4.5XL cabs which suit the modern tone I like but looking for something a little more gig friendly

7. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I am currently gigging with the 610 Neo. I think it is great! Powerful, punchy, very modern sounding to my ears. And light! 77lbs. Pretty easy to move. I have been using it with a TC RH750 head and the new Fender Rumble 350. Unfortunately my Super Bassman 300 has yet to arrive. I think the cab sound good with either head, but I prefer the Rumble 350.

8. Tim1

Tim1

Picked up my 610 neo last weekend. When I first heard it in the shop a month ago I was unsure about it, but it must have been the conditions and an unfamiliar acoustic environment/amp. I have now used it with my 100T and let me assure you it is a wonderful match. I think this was the pairing that Fender intended according to the wholesaler down here. The neo 610 seems to get every ounce of clean power out of the 100T so that it seems to go much louder than the old Bassman 100s from the seventies that I used to own, although I have been unable to find any figures on the sensitivity of the neo range. Aside from the bling factor (they look stunning together, like a NOS 215/Bassman rig) it does the vintage tone perfectly and the horn is crossed over nicely for a smooth transistion - really works well also with the overdrive/modern channel. Gougedeye is spot on about the weight, it really is light weight and easy to move compared to every other 610 I have used. Some practical touches too - skid rails on the back and pull out handles on the bottom. I have also heard rumours that due to the increasing price of neodymium Fender might be going back to ceramic magnets so get in now to be safe.
    I will try my SVT VR and Orange AD200 with it soon and update, also might AB it with the Bergantino NV610.

9. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

If anyone is still tracking this, I finally got my 410 neo last week. I've used Hartke 410XL's since mid-80's, so that's all I can compare it to. Briefly, there is no comparison. The 410 neo is so much faster and punchier it's really not even close. Somehow it manages to sound more modern, which you would expect, but it also has more of a vintage grunt and growl than the Hartke. I realize I'm comparing a dinosaur to it, but I've been more than happy wiht the Harkes. So far all of this is based on practice and rehearsal - new band doesn't gig for another couple weeks, so we'll see then.

10. Tim1

Tim1

I have compared mine side by side with the Bergantino NV215 and NV610, although each amp had a different (all tube) head on it. The Fender stood up fine and didn't seem to lack anything by comparison in terms of punch and apparent power handling. It does have the slight upper midrange hump that I rightly or wrongly tend to associate with neo drivers, but I actually found this quite appealing and it could easily be eq'd out. I was very impressed by the smooth transition through the crossover to the horn.

11. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    I've just pulled the trigger on a NEO 610, so will be able to report later this week on how it compares to my Epifani UL2-610

12. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Great news guys, some really good opinions on these cabs then :)

13. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Used my Neo 610 and Super Bassman 300 twice this past weekend. This is by far the coolest bass rig I've ever owned or played through. The Neo 610 is punchy and articulate with plenty of bottom and the SB 300 is just amazing! So much power and so many great tones available. The ability to blend between the vintage and the overdrive channel just plain rocks! Giddy would be and understatement here. I just could not be more excited or pleased with my purchase. Fender really hit it out of the park with these amps and cabs!

14. Freight Train

15. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    First rehearsal with the Neo 610 last night - I'm very impressed. My Epifani UL610 is a great sounding cab, with a huge bottom end - but as you probably know the Epi UL cabs are voiced with a scoop, so getting mids out of them require some EQ tweaking. The Neo 610 on the other hand, sounds smooth right across the frequency range, and the mids are very tight and focused. I used SWR cabs for many years, and I'd describe the Neo 610 as being similar to the tone of a SWR Goliath 410 - without the sizzle. That said, the definition is great, and the bottom end is full without being muddy.

For my old school rock and blues this cab seems like a perfect match. I'm very happy with the purchase, and the people who designed the ergonomics of the Neo 610 knew exactly what they were doing - the handling options are perfect for a gigging musician - everything from the location of the handles, the skid rails and the kick panel are extremely practical, as is the heavy duty surface of the cabinet and the metal corners. The package seems very durable and roadworthy indeed. And it's super light ... and looks fantastic. Winner!

16. topdog

topdog

In an earlier post I told everyone I would keep them posted as soon as my Fender Neo 410 arrived. Well, I got it a few days ago and what a disappointment. If you remember, I foolishly got rid of my Schroeder 410L to get this cabinet. Upon taking it out of the box it was apparent that the quality was not close to my old cab. I hooked it up to my Eden WT550 and began to give it a test drive. At low volume it wasnÂ’t bad but lacked response. Turning up the volume and I immediately noticed a buzzing sound which was coming from the grill cloth that is attached with Velcro.

With that being said, I took a look inside and noticed that the speakers are the bottom of the line neo Eminence, unlike my old Schroeder 410L which had the top of the line. Yes, I know they have since changed to B&C but they are still rated twice the wattage. Fortunately I still have my Schroeder 1212L cab and compared it side by side, alone and on the gig. The 1212L at half the size blows the Fender Neo 410 away at low and high volume.

Well, the old adage you get what you pay for applies here. I have boxed up the Fender and shipped it back and will be ordering my new Schroeder 410L front fired cabinet on Monday.

IMHO
    MS

Fender 06 Jaco, Fender 72 P. Bass, Ampeg 67 Baby Bass, Eden 550WT, Shroeder 1212L,410L and full pedal board

17. Tim1

Tim1

An unexpected response, Topdog, but hey you are entitled to your opinion although it is contrary to the experiences of others who have posted here. However, as they say, one man's meat is another man's poison and we all have different tastes. The grill buzz is a pain but no doubt an easy fix and under warranty. As regards your other comments, as I stated my 610 holds up well in a side by side comparison with the Berg 610. I doubt that your cabinet is a dud, but maybe it needs a little playing in for the speakers to free up and a little more time spent on EQ'ing before you write it off. That said, at least the experience has helped you decide what you like, but I also wonder whether possibly the Fender 410 and your Eden amp is not the best match. Certainly most others who are using the Fender neo cabs seem to be matching them with the new Fender all tube heads, and it makes sense that Fender would have voiced their cabinets to optimally suit this pairing.