1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Noiseless pickups replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassv2, Feb 4, 2013.

1. bassv2

bassv2

Hello guys, first of all sorry about my english........it´s not my language

I have a Fender (2006) mim deluxe JB with noiseless pickups and active electronics ( everything stock) , and i´m planning to replace the pickups but keep the electronics, i want to change just the pickups.

Wich is a good pickup replacement keeping the stock fender active electronics?
    I love classic sounds but with active versatility

Noiseless pickups are passive, and i want to maintain the same configuration....passive pickups with active electronics.

Well, sorry again about my english, i hope you understand what i need....

Regards.
  2. AaronMB

AaronMB

Please forgive my lack of help. I can't answer your question.

I would only like to say that your use of English above is excellent (you only misspelled wich = "which" and native speakers do that all the time). Well done.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Assuming you want to stay hum-free and don't want to spend lots of cash: DiMarzio Area J. I think you'll find a substantial tone improvement.
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

Dimarzio Ultra J or Area J pickups would be a good place to start, depending on what tone you are trying to achieve by changing the pickups. They are both hum cancelling and very well regarded here, and also very affordable.
  5. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

Sadowsky humcanceling j's are awesome!
  6. bassv2

bassv2

Thanks guys.!!

I´m looking for the most classical jazz bass sound between active eq/preamp ( i like the original fender that comes with my bass) and pickups, keeping hum cancelling.
    I´m not really in love with Fender noiseless.

Dimarzio Area, Ultra, which models is better.....that´s the question...
    Maybe Sadowsky but it is to expensive.

Thanks from Chile
  7. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

You probably want the Area then. They will have a more "classic" tone than the Ultras, which are supposed to be more modern sounding than a typical jazz bass pickup.
  8. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

If you want hum cancelling pickup then the Area J, if you want classic single coil pickups i would suggest Seymour Duncan or regular Fender.
  9. Fingerz

Fingerz

Hi mate,

I have a deluxe jazz (5 string), and I have Aguilar single coils in it. I know they're not hum cancelling (unless you 50/50 the pickups of course), but it really brings it in line with the classic J bass tone I'm so at home with. In my experience singles are the only way to really achieve this, but that's just me. The pre amp sounds great with the singles, the only downside is that there is a bit too much treble with the singles but I just roll it off and it sounds smoking.

I have played the Nordstrand split coil J pickups in a passive bass and they really did a great single coil impression, so they may be worth considering too. Quite traditional sounding, and of course quiet.

Worth throwing that out there ..
  10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Another vote for DiMarzio Area J's, which are in my 2002 Fender American Deluxe Jazz now, having replaced the original Noiseless pickups. A very, very substantial tone improvement! :D