1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender original '62 precision bass pickup in Fender Modern Player Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeffkew, Dec 13, 2013.

1. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

I just tried putting fender original '62 precision bass pickups into a modern player Jaguar bass. I had to bend up the edges of the bottom bass plate in order to fit them in the pickup cavity. Is this unusual that they don't fit?

This bass has a P/J pickup configuration. Does having the J pickup attached to the electronics in any way affect the tone of the P pickup when I turn the J all the way off?

The '62 pickups are not as loud as the pickups that came with the bass, but they may sound better, it's kind of hard to tell. It doesn't make the bass sound like an actual fender precision, which was my hope. This bass has a Koto body, so I guess it not being alder makes a big difference?
  2. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Is the P pickup in the Jag in the same relative spot as a P bass? If it isn`t that could explain the difference.
  3. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

I think it is in the same spot.
  4. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Hmm, not sure then. I think the middle of the two coils is something like 11.5" from the twelfth fret on a regular P bass. I don`t have any experience with this particular model, or even body shape, so I`m out of help….