1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender P bass neck on a thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by balton4, Mar 15, 2014.

1. balton4

balton4

Hey there fellow bassists! I've got an epiphone thunderbird bass and I'm thinking about swapping out necks with a p bass neck. Just a usual epiphone tbird four string, standard model, not the pro. The neck is really warped and I just like the p bass neck feel more, so I figured why not? I know others have done this, and I'm just wondering about where I can get a neck, or if anyone would have a link to a neck that would fit my bass, thanks :D

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

You probably will need to do some routing, but you could get a Warmoth neck.

3. awilkie84

awilkie84

Well, no neck except an Epi Tbird neck is going to be a direct fit. It will take some sanding & possibly some routing to work properly. It's not that hard, though. I plan on doing the same thing...if I can ever find a T-bird body. -_-

Get a P-bass neck from Mighty Mite, Allparts, Warmoth, or off an old Squier or Fender (many for sale in the Talkbass Classifieds) & measure from the G saddle of the bridge back 17" towards the neck pocket. That's approximately where your 12th fret will be on the Fender neck. Now, place the Fender neck on & see how much material you need to remove from the body to make the neck fit in that location. That will get you started. :)

4. Grissle

Grissle

^^^Exactly, I had to route about 3/32" off each side of the neck pocket an around 3/16" off the rear.
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ejaggers

ejaggers

I've thought several times about a Fenderbird, and even posted that I was going to use a squier neck. And some TBer, can't remember who, blew me up and said that it's not a Fenderbird unless it's a Fender neck. Go Figure!!!

It took awhile but I'm use to the epi neck, and have abandoned the idea for now.

Grissle, Are you trying to start my GAS back up??? That is sweet!!! Love that PG!!!

7. awilkie84

awilkie84

Haha! Me, too! I REALLY need to find me a T-bird body.

8. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I used an inexpensive lefty neck for mine, I shaved the sides and heel down quite a bit too, it keeps the reach to the lower frets easier.
    [​IMG]

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Well it isn't. It would make a Squierbird. At best it would make a Squier by Fenderbird.

10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Actually, a "Squierphone."

11. Grissle

Grissle

I had a Fender neck on it but then I found this old Squire standard neck that was really nice, shallow and light.

12. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Grissle-that pickguard just brings the whole thing together, nice!

Tbird1958- love the "trc" on the peghead, cool unifying element. The "Drinky" PG is a nice touch.

13. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Bought a Epi Tbird to put a jazz neck on but once I saw how much routing I would have to do, I kinda just gave up on it and kept it stock. I did use the jazz neck on a P Bass project. Still have to redo all the wiring on it.

14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Here are two of mine the Mahogany reverse I built in '81, the white non reverse around 2009.[​IMG][​IMG]