Fender p bass vs g and l p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glutah, Nov 7, 2012.

1. glutah

glutah

Just curious, I own a few g and l basses and recently played a 57 fender reissue and loved the feel of the neck. I am now looking for an old g and l lb-100 or jb-1. How do these stack up against the fender? I have just been so happy with the G and L's, I figure I can't go wrong
  2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

IME and comparing my p basses , SB-1 included . They are all very close but the subtleties of whatever pickup is in there will set it apart just a little . A nice p with a nice p pickup and you'll be good to go . Also for me personally I like a J type of neck on a P , so the 57 was a wee wider then what I usually go for . So whatever feels best to you , pickups can always be changed ,:ninja:
  3. glutah

glutah

To me the fender lacked low end compared to other p basses I've played (mostly lakland). How big of a difference is there in feel between a 1 3/4 vs a 1 5/8? Is it that noticeable on the p necks?
  4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

If you were sure the pickup was adjusted correctly perhaps it was bass shy, but a P lacking low end is not something we usually hear . A J neck just fits for me , an old school P shape like a 57 feels pretty wide to me I gigged a '57 ri for many years so I'm not against it , these days I lean towards the J neck a little more.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

Let me share my thoughts on G&L though ... G&L are making some of the best instruments money can buy and a top of the line G&L is not cheap . My SB-1 is flawless and it's like a Custom shop or Suhr , which I own . It's that good IMO. I love that bass , pics :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I cannot comment directly on a '57 RI or an LB-100. But, I do have an actual '66 Fender P with a C neck, and a US-made G&L SB-2 with a J width neck.

I think the difference between an SB-1 and an LB-100 is the neck is the same width as a 60s P bass? And an SB-2 is basically an SB-1 with a J pickup added. And, at least with the SB-2, you can order it with a J width neck or a P width neck.

So, the OP's question, as I interpret it, is how does the neck on a '57 RI compare to the neck on an LB-100. As I said, I have no experience with either, so I can't answer that. But, in true TalkBass tradition, I'll put in $0.02 on something different. :D

My '66 P is GREAT! Original neck, pickups and all pots and wiring. It sounds like a nice, vintage Fender P should sound. But, my SB-2 just seems to have that same sound with more balls. It is probably my favorite-sounding bass.

I even recorded both, using the same set of strings, a while back and posted a blind poll on here asking if you could tell which one is the "real" Fender P. The majority of votes picked the SB-2 sound as being the Fender. Since most folks since to feel like a vintage Fender P is the "best" sounding P, I interpreted the results as suggesting that in a blind listening test, most people think the SB-2 sounds "better" than the vintage Fender.

So, to the OP, I say, if you like the G&L's you've had, go for another G&L. If you want a P width neck, get a G&L with a P width neck. If you want a slimmer, J width neck, get a G&L with a J width neck. They even offer 2 different profiles for each neck. I think they call them Classic and Modern or something like that. So, you should be able to get a G&L with just the neck you want.
  8. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

That's right , G&L offer something like 5 different neck shapes and a few different fret choices .
  9. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    best piece of advice on bassforum already "crowded" with wise points!
    OP: please write your minutes down on here...

Cheers,
    Wallace
  10. glutah

glutah

I guess I am just trying to figure out which bass to buy. I have been so impressed with my
    G and ls that I figure I couldn't go wrong. But I want to have a bass with a vintage feeling c neck (1.75). I want a true p bass without the bridge pickup but g and l doesn't make them anymore. Thanks so much for all the input
  11. chef wong

chef wong

I had a 1984ish SB1. It aint no P bass.
  12. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Supporting Member

Having owned vintage Fender Ps and newer ones ad vintage G&L SB-1s and newer ones and 90s and newer SB-2s, I can tell you there are big differences.
    With the G&Ls, you will have a clarity and power to the sound that will not come from the Fender without a preamp addition.
    That may or may not be a good thing to your ears. There is a buttery subtlety to the right P bass that is just what many bassists crave.
    Having had all those basses in the past, I now have and SB-1 and SB-2. They're great, but I could be induced to part with one, but not both.
    PM me for details if you like.
  13. vgbob

vgbob

I have a 62 AV Fender P, and a SB-2 G&L (USA). I love the sound of the Fender. To me that is what a P bass is all about. The range of tone just amazing. I can't get the same tone out of the G&L, but I do like the feel of the G&L J neck. I also have a Fender Jazz and a Spector. All have their own sound, but if I had to choose only one, it would be the Fender P.
  14. Lo-E

Lo-E

To me, it makes a very big difference. I prefer wider necks, and that 1/8" difference is night and day. I also prefer the neck profile of '80s-era G&L necks to the current production as they're a little flatter. None of that can speak for you or what you like, though. You just have to go with what feels right for you.

As far as tone goes, again, it's going to come down to what makes you happy. I know it's sort of a wishy-washy answer, but nobody else can tell you which bass is "better". I keep G&Ls and Fenders in my arsenal because I like them both, and neither is really a substitute for the other.