Fender P Thumb-rest in Bridge Position

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ac11367, Mar 27, 2014.

1. ac11367

ac11367 Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395968192.310446.jpg

Has anyone installed a thumb-rest by the bridge position of a Fender P? It may not enhance the look of the bass, but I do find it effective. Given that I have no intention of ever selling this bass, I went wild with it. It even has the numerical volume and tone dials.
  2. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I have a Ric 4003 that had bridge and pickup thumbrests installed by a previous owner. I'm leaving them on for now. I got a good deal on the bass, possibly because the rests devalued it a little. But more power to you if it aids your playing.
  3. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I mainly finger above the center and sometimes go to the bridge, but Id really love something like that installed just above the 24th fret area. I occasionally use that area for deep muddy tone and I find it difficult to play faster without a good anchor there.
  4. BJMtz

BJMtz

I have one on my P. I was so used to playing next to the bridge that when I got the P I needed somewhere to rest my thumb. As I've gotten more used to it I find myself not playing there so much and could probably take it off and be fine. Unfortunately now I have 2 holes in my bass from the screws. Not a huge deal a tad unsightly.

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

I tried moving my thumbrest to a rearward position years ago, but found I sometimes missed having the forward anchor spot. I wound up putting a screw in the most forward hole, and one in the most rearward hole, and running a piece of coathanger wire in between the two. Looks like crap but it works for me! :p
  7. ac11367

A coat hanger wire? That's pretty wild. Wouldn't it bend a little if you rest your thumb on it?

That's what I say, if it works, I wouldn't care too much about how it looks, as long as it's not too ridiculous. This is especially the case when I don't have any intention in selling the bass.
  8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

No pic, no coathanger wire thumbrest... ;)
  9. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I Think Duck Dunn had a thumb rest set near the bridge on one of his Ps... I play right behind the pickup on my P, so I rest my thumb on the pickup cover.
  10. ac11367

I think part of the reason why most folks aren't placing thumbrests by the bridge, even though they would've found them useful there, is that it could hurt resale value. But if this becomes a more common practice, then it would have no affect on resale. I mean, a thumbrest below the G string is considered acceptable because it is common and "by design".
  11. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

This is the main reason I don't play a P bass I have no place to put my thumb. I did it to a cheap copy I had when I first started out it really helped but I dunno if I'd do it to a nice one unless I planned to keep it forever.
  12. Shanebo

Shanebo

Here's my take on this question...

[​IMG]

It's a small cube of ebony, stuck on with double-face foam tape. This is the same tape I use to hold wheel weights on motorcycle rims for balancing.

I've taken it off once, and the residue cleans off easily with a little solvent on a rag. It does take some effort to remove, and it's never yet come off while playing.

All the best,

Shane
  13. ac11367

Nice bass, the small ebony block is low profile and effective. The key here is the heavy-duty double-sided adhesive tape.

What pick-up is that?
  14. Lazylion

The middle of it rests right on the pickup screw.
    Pardon me for forgetting the rules!
    [​IMG]
  15. ac11367

Unlike what you've said before, this doesn't look like crap at all. It looks pretty inconspicuous.

So the wire doesn't bend even if you rest your thumb away from the middle support?
  16. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

[​IMG]

Corian sample from Home Depot. Double sided tape. and about ten minutes in my shop.

I'll probably trade it out for a sample that better matches the finish.

I was never totally comfortable playing this (or any) P bass until I did this mod. Now I've got that J bass bridge pickup location to rest my digit.
  17. Lazylion

A closer look...
    [​IMG]
    I stuck a couple of plastic washers under the end to level it up.
  18. Lazylion

Not that I've noticed, but the wire is pretty skinny, not much there to pull against. It's more of a guide, so I can feel where my thumb should be.
  19. brianrockwell84

brianrockwell84

Who did your pickguard?
  20. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

I did it on a P I used to own. The thing that bugged me is that my thumb felt comfortable, but my fingers would come to rest on it too soon when plucking through the E. It essentially felt like a 5 string with super tight string spacing at the thumbrest. Ended up taking it off and just leaving pickguard screws in the holes I drilled.
  21. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Grind it down. simple solution. Then you can say it's custom too.