Fender P vs Lakland P vs G&L P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jens1, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Jens1

Jens1

Hi guys,

please help me with your opinions. I don't have a chance to try all basses I would love to, so here is the question:
    which P bass do you prefer, Fender (anything US 2008 and younger), Lakland Skyline 44 64 or G&L new LB 100. Maybe Lakland US?

Thanks for all replies.
  2. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I don't think the Skyline should be compared to Fender U.S., G&L, or Lakland U.S.

I'd have to pick G&L. Their QC and wood selection is above the factory standard. You're really getting a high end instrument that isn't priced so, with George and Leo.
  3. Jens1

Jens1

I'm also leaning towards GL. But I read on TB forum that skyline is easily comapred to US Fenders...no offence

So GL...Thanks :)
  4. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry...

Media:
    I'd go with the Lakland. The Skyline series is as good or better than the U.S. Fender line (I have a U.S. Fender and a Skyline), but if you can swing it, go for a U.S. Lakland. Easily the best of the basses you've mentioned.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

On a huge forum like this, you'll get opinions favoring all three. Many of us have owned all three, or still have all three. I have gravitated to G&L, after owning Fenders and Laklands. Not that I wouldn't jump on a Fender or Lakland if the right deal came along.
  7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The G&L (IMO) is comparable to a Fender custom shop (team built or better).
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I owned a G & L that I loved the tone but the neck seemed wider than a Fender or Lakland. I would either go with the US Lakland or an MIA Fender.
  9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

That's the beauty of G&L, you can choose from several different necks. I've owned several Laklands and I couldn't stand the necks.
  10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

The G&L tone is different than other P-bass style basses, and I think you either like it or not. I've tried a lot of P-basses, and my Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom is the best fit for me. The Hanson pickups are a little punchier than a vintage pup, but with the tone knob and a little time getting used to the bass, I get great vintage type tones from it. I got the Custom because I like the Jazz neck and blocks, but the regular 44-64 has the traditional P neck.

My Skyline is very well put together, with fantastic fret work, a very nice finish, and good hardware. To me/for me it's a step up from Fender MIA. I am sure there are those who would differ in that opinion. :)
  11. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I have owned G&L (both Tribute and US), Fender (US and MIJ), and Lakland Skylines.

I loved my G&Ls. Both the Tribute and the US versions were fantastic. Mine were both L-2500s. I have owned two US Fenders, a P5 and a Am Dlx Jazz 5. They are great basses as well.

The odd thing is that I no longer own either G&L. I fell on hard times and had to decide between my Lakland 55-02 and my US G&L L-2500. I did a very comprehensive A/B test and kept the Lakland. I still have my 55-02 and I've owned it longer than any bass I've ever had.

I had a Fender Am Dlx Jazz 5 and traded it for a Lakland DJ5. I wanted that familiar Lakland feel in a passive Jazz. Not that I didn't like the Fender, but the Lakland sounds every bit as good, is every bit as well put together, and weighs considerably less.

I still have my Fender Am Std P5. Sometimes you are dealing with folks on a gig that only recognize a "real bass" as a Fender P. I think every player needs a P bass in their arsenal. Not that you can't cop a P tone with other instruments, you absolutely can. But sometimes you need to look the part as well as sound good. Better have a P bass. :)
  12. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

When I was upgrading from my first (MIM standard) P-Bass I spent a lot of time playing a variety of Fenders, a couple G&L Tributes and some Skylines. I thought I'd end up with Jazz or Fender P with a Jazz neck (bad wrists). What sold me on a used Skyline Bob Glaub (44-64) despite a wide as a bowling lane neck was this: I'd sit and play for 10-20 min on a bass and my hands would get sore. I'd then play on this used glaub and by the end they'd feel better. For me it was easier to play. I don't even like the tone of the chi-sonic in it that much, but the neck is worth it's weight in gold. That being said I've recently had a similar experience with a Road Worn P.
  13. oboylebass

oboylebass

You pretty much can't go wrong with any of these basses, really. In a perfect world you could walk into a music store, plug in all 3 and choose the one you like best. That being said, I own both both Fender and Lakland basses and love them both. If the sky was the limit, I'd likely buy myself a US Lakland Glaub/44-64.
  14. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Like someone said, this'll be a lot of people just sharing opinions. I wanted a P, so I got a Lakland Skyline. Great bass, and it was one of the ones with the jazz neck. The neck was actually so small ir hurt my hand on longer gigs. A couple of trades later and I went from that to a 1974 Fender P and a Tony Franklin fretless P. The neck profile on a 70s P is perfect for me personally, so I'm set. The Tony Franklin is a copy of a 70s jazz, and its got the exact same neck feel. The sound on both is stellar. It works for me, but it might not work for you though.

I think the Fenders sounded a bit more solid than the Lakland as well. The lakland sounded good but sort of artificial compared with my current fenders. It was a great aggressive tone though, unfortunately most don't buy a P because its aggressive.

I will say though, the lakland had ridiculously good build quality for a used price of $800. Same price as a current run of the mill used MIA Fender, and better IMO.
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

after having a 2009 fender p and a 2011 g&l, i'd say g&l, only because the g&l didn't need a pro shimming, new bridge, and a new pickup to do what i wanted, also the g&l came with a case, the fender was a nice bass, but i didn't want to upgrade it so i traded it for a vintage g&l
  16. Jens1

Jens1

Thanks for your opinions on that matter. So I need rich agressive p tone, not round and soft one. Can you tell me where would you go Fender, Lakland, GL?
    Thanks in advance.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have only owned Fender basses: a 2002 MIA Precision and a 2010 Precision V. Love them both and bought both new.

I have tried many other basses, including G & L and Lakland. Both companies make very nice basses. Neither has yet produced a model that told me, "I HAVE TO have this!"

I have not ever considered parting with either and am happy with both choices. When practicing and when mixed musically with the band(s) I play in. Aggressive & subtle, they get the job done.

Run the rack on as many types of these instruments that you can. You'll find one that feels right. You never really know until you are playing the instrument in a band. Then, your bass, your rig and your abilities are all tested to make great music.
  18. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry...

Media:
    Lakland have a more aggressive tone.
  19. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Get a used MIA fender for 700 bones. There is an oly white rosewood one in the classifieds right now
  20. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

If you do not like the pickup ....you can change it....

Lakland has several different p bass pickups....

I have Hanson vintage P in my P and PJ....and nordys in another PJ.

All great sounding
  21. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

I would agree on the neo punch.....the vintage pickups have a nice fralin type sound