Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI pups - Anyone change them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FromTheBassMent, Apr 8, 2014.

1. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

I posted this in the Pickups/Electronics forum, but I don't think that one gets a whole lot of traffic. So excuse me if this isn't precisely on-topic, but...

Now that the Pawn Shop Bass VI has been around for a while, I'm wondering if anyone else has considered doing some experimentation with replacement pickups. Particularly, I find that I do not care at all for the tone of the bridge Jazzmaster pup... way too nasal and pinched for my taste. Has anyone tried any one of the many replacements Jazzmaster pups on the market in that position (e.g., Duncan, Rio Grande)? I'd like to hear more bass and more articulation in the high end... that pickup should sparkle, and the stock humbucker does not.

Also, I wouldn't mind a little more brightness out of the instrument overall, as I'm using it for vintage country tic-tac, surf-a-billy and folkadelic... so I am up for some twang. Can this be achieved with a change in the tone cap? (I'm asking that question like I know what I'm talking about... but I actually have no idea.)
  2. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

I guess that's "no" then!
  3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Perhaps not. Played one in a store a few months back and I thought the pickups were great. I can't justify that much on a new bass at the moment however so I bought a Squier instead. It sounds fine too but I think I'd take the PS setup if I had the choice economically.