Fender pbass for metal ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aris17561, Mar 30, 2014.

1. aris17561

aris17561

Hello all ,

I am using a fender pbass just for recording stuff in my computer . The problem with my mim fender is that I cannot take a big bass sound that makes the all production sounds huge . I need a bass tone that I will not be able to hear it separately but to make the production bigger and fuller . I write two guitars hardly panned and I hear the bass in the mix as a third guitar . Is the bass the problem ? I heard that pbass are not for any heavier stuff than iron maiden . Is this true ? I don't know a lot about basses . Just need something that makes the guitars sounds heavier and not so a separate bass tone ...please help !!!
  2. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like you don't like the fact that you can hear the bass in the mix. Interesting.

P basses are easy to hear in a mix because they have lots of midrange. Scoop the mids out, boost lows and highs, and you should get what you want.
  3. aris17561

aris17561

No !!! It's not that at all !!! I want to hear the baas as a sense of an extension of guitars low end . Not as a complete separate instrument . I want the bass to be the big muscle dad who keep his 2 children ( guitars ) from their hands and act as a total and not as 3 independent guys who are just walking . With the excessive midrange of p bass I feel that I write 3 guitars and my production doesn't have the low end I am seeking . But again i am not sure that the problem is the p bass ... Just asking if I need a bass with soap bars or humbucker for example ...
  4. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. azapistagyerek

azapistagyerek

7. Doctor J

Doctor J

Boost the mids of the guitars at around 1-2kHz, put a high pass filter on them at around 120Hz. Boost the low end of the bass at around 80Hz and a notch filter at around 180Hz, take some out there.
  8. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Metal...you gotta love it.
  9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Try a Zoom B3 and experiment with some different settings until one clicks with you.
  10. aris17561

aris17561

Sob, I was considering if buying the ibanez sr700 but now you I start to forget about it . What are the differences bettwen mine and this ibanez ?
  11. richntiff

richntiff

Just leave the bass out, and play with 7 string detuned guitars. Your particular mission will be accomplished.
  12. aris17561

aris17561

I am not that guy !!!
  13. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

Post a clip do we can hear it
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Start reading about frequency slotting. I think you just need more time learning how to mix. It's an art form.
  15. Mikio

Mikio

P basses are good for anything, but I'd suggest a Jazz or a PJ for a more aggressive tone
  16. aris17561

aris17561

Ok thank you so much . Just out of curiosity may you tell me what is the difference between a p bass and a bass with humbuckers or a bass with soap bars ? Is there any difference between a 4string and a 5 string with the the same tuning as far as the tone ?
  17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The genre does attract a certain element, no doubt.
  18. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That's way too broad to give you any useful information.
  19. aris17561

aris17561

Just tell a few words and I will understand the difference . I see a lot of deferent basses but I also see that the situation with basses is totally different than guitars . For example in guitars fender is for cleans , gibson for crunch , esp for metal etc . I also see that there are lot of people play metal with a fender but realistically fender makes guitars for a style and Gibby for another .

In basses I see that fender is ok for everything , ibanez the same , esp the same . So that why I am trying to understand why so different basses and pickups configuration ?

Do you believe that with my bass and a good post proses sing I can have a huge low end in my mix ?
  20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    No offense but it is a MIM. It won't have the same tone or sound as full as an MIA. A Jazz bass will give you more tonal options.
  21. Mikio

Mikio

The P's humbucker is very mellow and middy, while the J pickups are brighter, and since there's always one in the bridge, they give you a lot of punch and an edgy sound.

Soapbars are like J singles on roids, it's hard to explain