Fender Performer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corndog, Nov 13, 2012.

1. corndog

corndog

2. kris pung

kris pung

Love the shape and there are actually a couple of us making performer styled builds in the LC right now.
  3. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

they're rare and cool but $1300 is way too much
  4. cdef

cdef

Very slim neck, almost like on Vox basses. And a unique Fender logo:

[​IMG]

FWIW, here's the one pic I've found of a reported 3-pickup, 5-string prototype (missing a tuner):

[​IMG]

5. mexicant

mexicant

I had a red performer, bought about 10 yrs ago,think i paid like 350.00 for it.Traded mine at guitar center a few years ago...i think they gave me 450.00 for it. It was a really good sounding bass and had a real fast jazz style neck. Couldnt get past the looks though:( bought a highway 1 3 tone pbass.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

That's what I like about my Performer 4 strings.
  7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

WHO---WHO---WHO? I would LOVE to find a primo Performer, or at least a bass with the same style AND neck specs.

What is the smiley for "^&%^$% I WANT ONE!"
    Periodically I comb the net for a primo Peformer.
  8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Great playing bass but I hated the sound (fixed with EMGs). Shame I sold it, neck was a lot of fun.
  9. kris pung

kris pung

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Thanks for the links--------you both rock! Posted replies to you both. Love where you guys are going. Hmmmm---maybe I'll be sharing a tax return with somebody............:)
  11. bound'n'blocked

bound'n'blocked

Friend of mine had one of those back around 89 or 90 or so. I called it the Fred Flintstone bass. Remember how everything in that show that was round was always "just quite NOT round"? That's the way I looked at that bass, like it had been chisled out of stone or wood and not quite finished. He loved it but sold it soon after getting it.

BnB
  12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I've always called them "Flintstones" basses, too. It would be fun to have one for show as much as to play it! :)
  13. corndog

corndog

Too funny,

First thing i said to myself when i saw that body shape was "If Fred Flintstone was in a band, this would be his bass"
  14. Corbeau

Corbeau

Looks like a great bass. I guess it was during the period where Fender were trying to make pointy basses like a whole bunch of others. It's a very 80s design.
  15. wmheilma

wmheilma

I bought a Performer 4 String sunburst and gave it to my girlfriend about 15 years ago. We got married, and the bass is still around with all the other music gear! I recently found one on E-Bay going for about $1200 or so. Anyone buy or sell one of these lately?
  16. mongo2

mongo2

LOL, I always thought of a different Hanna-Barbera family...The Jetsons.
  17. cirrus1

cirrus1

Still have mine, bought it new in 85 or 86. took the rosewood fretboard off of it and laminated a nice slab of smooth madagaskar ebony to the neck and put a badass bridge on it shortly after getting it. other than that its all original and sounds great still. Never dreamed that it would jump in price so much or I wouldn't have changed it!
  18. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The store I managed (from '77 through '88) had one when they came out. I took it to a gig once. Sounded very very nice, but the neck was so freakin' skinny- made a Geddy Lee Jazz feel like a clubby Precision.

John
  19. cirrus1

cirrus1

Agree on the neck, but thats what i liked about it. 24 fret about 2" width at the body joint. Almost the exact same as my yamaha BX-1.
  20. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

I should have kept mine, I just didn't experiment enough with different strings and EQ to get a sound I liked out of it. I really thought the look was great, but always sounded/felt like a toy.