1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender PICKGUARD on a Squier P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gear_Junky, May 31, 2011.

1. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

I'm wondering what people do for replacement pickguards - I noticed that Squiers have 14 holes, while Fenders have 13, but what's worse - the shape is so drastically different that it doesn't seem to work - it leaves a gap at the pocket and the control "peninsula" doesn't even stay on the bass...

I know there's always the custom-cut route, but it's at least double the money.

Is there a "secret" to this?
  2. RonChase

RonChase

put it on just fix holes I would not do this with to valuable an instrument though
  3. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

see, that's just the thing - if the guard were the same shape, I got no problem redrilling holes. But I've tried a few P-bass guards and they didn't even fit right, like they're made for a different bass. I have a black pearl guard arriving from eBay, I guess I'll find out :meh:
  4. ThatBassistDude

ThatBassistDude Supporting Member

I got a warmoth p bass pick guard for my squier standard, it fit with some filing around the neck area.
  5. cropshy

cropshy

Last Saturday I decided to try to fit a nice three-ply pick-guard on my Squier Affinity P-bass after I replaced all of the electronics. How hard could it be? Well, really hard. For reasons known to no reasonable person, Squier Affinity parts aren't all interchangeable with Fender and regular Squier guitars and basses.

For me to fit this Fender pick-guard on my Affinity bass I would've had to fill almost all of the holes on the body, redrill them for the new pick-guard, file the neck cutaway so it would fit, and do some body routing to get the full-sized pots to fit in the body. I didn't bother. I just put the single ply pick-guard back on after a little Dremel work on the body to get the new pots to fit.

So, the "secret" is that it's a big pain in the behind. I really wish there was an easier, cheaper way, but I don't know of one.
  6. Buslady7803

Buslady7803

I tried two pickguards for my squier...i want to get my autographed one off, frame and put a new one on so i can play it. The pickup holes are not spaced right to fit the guards i got...really sucks...
  7. isher1992

isher1992

I have a Squier Affinity, and used a black 3-ply Fender pickguard to replace the white one. The only problem I had was that one of the holes for the screw stripped while taking the old one off. Just glued in a wooden dowel, and screwed the screw back in. The pickguard managed to lay on top almost flawlessly. The only real flaw was the hole for the pickup didn't quite allow the pickup to slide inside. Took sandpaper and just gently sanded it bigger to fit. Other than that, it sits perfectly. This was on a 2003-up Affinity P-bass.
  8. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

right on, man! I think I am facing a similar issue. i traded a Squier P Bass Special body, supposedly from an Indonesian bass - it has a 14-hole guard (like other Squiers), but is also shaped differently. I think Fender either did this on purpose, or totally had no control over anything, except the headstock - just told them to make a similar instrument. :mad:

Thanks everyone, it's still helpful to know :bassist:
  9. archtop2

archtop2

My 2013 Squier Affinity Precision PJ crafted in China (serial #CY1302xxxxx) has 13 holes.

Like isher1992 and his 2003 Squier may I get a proper fitting from genuine Fender Precision pickguard?

-this thread is the one poping out Google asked on the subject-:D
  10. msact

msact Supporting Member

I think it depends on the year. The PG's are interchangeable on the newer Squiers but not the older ones. I had a 97 Affinity P and all I had to do was some minor shaving around the neck and pups.
  11. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

I have a late Squier Affinity Jazz bass, and the pickguards from a Squier VM Jazz WILL NOT FIT. OTOH, my old AVRI MIA Jazz pickguard fits the Squier VM Jazz just fine. I think it's an issue with the Affinity models in general.

I cannot speak to the Affinity Precisions, tho. I have a VM "P".
  12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I forget which thread I talked about this on, so I'll just try to be brief. A rarity for me, to be sure!

Older Standard Line Squiers deviated greatly from the common Fender "footprint". Older P's and P-Bass Specials had the aforementioned 14-hole pickguard. I tried replace a white one on a 2001 P-Special with a Fender 14-hole pickguard and it was no match at all. I eventually decided to just paint it black.

[​IMG]

I've also tried upgrading some parts on a pair of Squier Standard Jazz Basses. An MIA pickguard needed to be Dremel'd at the neck pocket, pickup route and along the control plate. Plus, the bridge pickup route is a little too small for a Seymour Duncan pickup cover, even one meant for one in the slightly-smaller neck position. (note below that the original bridge pickup is still in place)

[​IMG]

However, the black pearl pickguard pictured above was able to fit onto an Affinity Jazz (c. 2009, I think) without a problem…go fig! :confused:

Most recently, I was able to put a Fender MIA pickguard onto a Classic Vibe Jazz with a 99% match. One screw hole was a little offset, but it didn't keep me from screwing it down. That and there's the neck-heel truss rod notch, but that doesn't bother me at all.

You might have to do what I did…do a rattle can job on your original pickguard. That, or pay someone like Terrapin Guitars to cut you a custom one.