Fender Pre-CBS gold plated tuners

Discussion in 'For Sale: Accessories' started by ad9000, Apr 14, 2014.

1. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

I got these from John Sprung (Parts is Parts) sometime in the early 90's. They have been packed away in a box for a few years after I parted out the bass they were installed on. It occurred to me that someone might be able to make use of them, so I'm offering them up. Best guess is that they were taken off of a bass that was custom-ordered from Fender with gold plated parts.

They would be perfect for a restoration/relic project, as they look OK mixed with nickel and/or aged chrome parts.

As these tuners have been in use for decades, they do have some wear consistent with their age. As seen in the photos, nearly all of the gold plating has worn off of the exposed areas, but the remaining patina is very cool, with just a hint of gold. As is typical with Fender tuners from this era, there is a bit of slack when the keys are turned, but they are very stable once they are at pitch, and they don't have any problems with slipping or being difficult to turn, as is sometimes the case. One of the original screws that holds the gear onto the tuner (the upper left one in the first photo) is missing - it was already gone when I got hold of the set. A screw poached from a vintage-style Fender tuner (Gotoh?) is installed as a substitute. Two of the keys are bent at slight angles from the posts - I did not attempt to bend them back into place for fear of breaking them off. One key has some scratches on it, as shown in one of the photos.

The original four bushings are included, but mounting screws are not included.

Due to the rarity of these guys, I'm asking $225 OBO shipped within the CONUS
    I'm not interested in trades at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member