1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Precision 5 String Action too high.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by VeganThump, Feb 11, 2013.

1. VeganThump

VeganThump

In a noob at setups for starters. I recently strung this bass with chromes and I have the action pretty much where I want it on all the strings except the B string. I have the saddle bottomed out and it still isn't low enough. Last night I even tried, with much trepidation, shimming the neck with a business card, which really didn't help a whole lot in terms of the B-String and now there's a jot of a ski slope at the end of the neck, help?

2. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Sounds like you need to adjust the truss rod a half turn until it straightens out a bit.

3. VeganThump

VeganThump

I have it pretty darn straight, .012 at the 8th fret a la fenders setup guide, also I have a dead spot at C# on the G string and if I push the head stock against the wall while I'm holding the bass, it goes away, but that's another issue entirely, right now I just wanna get this B string a little lower.

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Shimming is simple and effective, you just need to add enough to to the job which you haven't yet. Add another piece. If you like cut one 1" and another 1/2" to taper the shim. Ski jump is a permanent defect in the wood of the neck; it doesn't appear when you add a shim.

You do realize that we all have dead spots on our Fenders and Squires, right? My G-3 does too!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VeganThump

VeganThump

It's probably just in my head then, I'm a total worry wort, the type of guy who sees someone coughing near them and then all of a sudden I feel sick lol. So I can shim it more than a business card? I just don't want to do any damage to anything, I loooooooove this bass!

7. VeganThump

VeganThump

I've owned 2 fenders (Marcus Miller Sig and a MIM Pbass) and I've never had a dead spot.

8. unclebass

unclebass

I do find notes on both of my fender basses that are slightly dead, unless I push the headstock against a wall, then they ring like all the other notes. Fender says to have 012 at the 8th fret, but I have been able on both of my basses to set it to .010 with no problems. I will try in a month or so to go to .009 or .008, just to see if I can get away with it. The specs that Fender puts out are just a guideline, you make minor adjustments from there to suit your taste and playing style. Just checked out a friends MusicMan 5 string, he set his action so low that anything more than the slightest string contact causes rattle all along the fretboard. He has a very soft touch and has been playing for over 20 yrs.

9. Da Funky Fish

Da Funky Fish

I just got a Am Std P Bass V from a talk bass user. After a pro set up the action seemed real high, nowhere near as low as my 4 string. They told me the B couldn't go any lower, was maxed out at the bridge. Maybe a lighter gauge string will help but in feeling like I made a costly mistake thinking that the 5 would be able to be set up like my 4 even with that low B.

10. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    These idiots didn't even think to shim it?

Hardly a, "pro setup".

11. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

You could always have the saddle milled. Just a thought.

12. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Fair enough, but it's so very common. My 1962 Jazz doesn't have one either. Doesn't have ski jump either but many do.

13. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

If the actions are too high, send them to me for safe keeping. I play hard and I have been scouting for a Pbass V. My Roscoe Beck sig V is set so high it's not playable for most of my buddies around here.

14. VeganThump

VeganThump

I'm going to try a tapered B string, that might help, another TB member suggested it, I'll report back.

15. Da Funky Fish

Da Funky Fish

JLS - I will look up on shimming it. I def go to a reputable store in NYC; its just seems weird that the action is 'as low as it gets'

Gardo - I will look into having the saddle milled

VeganThump - I was thinking of a tapered B string and may get a string pack.

I have a person who does work with you there if you'd like but he is on vacation so I may hit him up when he is back in a week to try and see what he may be able to do. Thanks for the advice!

16. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

The only reason I bring up milling is.... I have a Peavey RJIV thru neck and all the saddles were bottomed out. Come to find out from another TBer. This was a design flaw from Peavey. So I had all of mine milled and I now of extremely low sweet action. Good luck which ever way you go.

17. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I have a set of Fender 90505M (45-65-85-105-125) flatwounds with the B tapered on my Precision 5 and they're great.

Fender's 82505M are the Nickel Plated Steel roundwound version. They're 45-65-85-110-130 with tapered E & B strings.

TD