Fender Precision bass adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Karimsamir, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

Hey Low Enders, my name is Karim, I have a fender precision bass made in Mexico, the neck needs a severe truss rod adjustment, I tried adjusting it but never succeeded as all the sizes from my Allen keys set does not fit. Normally, it should use a size 5mm, but I just doesn't work.. I don't know what to do as this is the first time I adjust this bass. Moreover, it's not playable at all right now
  2. Lo-E

Lo-E

If you don't have the correct tool, you have two options: get the right tool or take it to a tech who has the right tool.

Truss rod adjustments are not very difficult, but you surely don't want to wing it with the wrong size wrench.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Wrenches are cheap. Order more sizes. But do not damage the nut by using the wrong size wrench. It's easy and cheap to keep full sets of both metric and SAE wrenches on hand.
  4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

Recent USA Fender basses use a 3/16" allen wrench - I'm not sure if Mexis use the same or not.
  5. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Mine does
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Any MIM Fender basses I've ever owned used a 3/16" wrench - probably atleast 20 or more, actually...

- georgestrings
  7. chalie

chalie

don't always trust the key as many are off spec
  8. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Havent you got a hardware store close by ?
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Doesn't matter - ordering via the Internet is easy. Of course, taking the bass TO a hardware store - or auto parts store - would make it easy to identify the needed wrench. When you find out, buy the entire wrench set. Good tools are forever.
  10. Ryan19

Ryan19

There are a lot of videos on Youtube showing how to adjust the truss rod and set up your bass. I recommend watching a few first.
  11. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

The T handled Fender wrench fits my MIM basses no problem.
  12. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

Well I don't have stores close to my house, I live in Egypt, so it's not as easy as u think it is getting these tools.. Moreover, the sizes here are in numbers.. My Yamaha TRB uses size 5.. Supposedly it should be the same size as the P bass, but it's not.. I tried using the whole Allen key set but no use.. I will convert the 3/16" and know which size in mm I guess and see what I can do.. Moreover, only 2 in Egypt who fix guitars so it's also not as easy