Fender Precision Bass Lyte?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raf Seibert, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

I just acquired this P-bass Lyte in near perfect condition for what I think is a silly price - $125. I don't find a lot of comments about this model in searching TalkBass, but what I find is largely positive. I'm looking for any input/information/opinion on what I've got. TIA

-Raf

2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    "What you goy" was a great deal. That's a nice bass for that kind of $$...congrats!

3. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Your shoulders and back will thank you in the morning.

4. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Thanks, I have ordered some LaBella Flats for it. Experimenting with it I much prefer the P pickup and I want to hear it with flats. I'm looking for the sound of the old P-bass I bought back in 73.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

PM JimmyM, he's gigged one for years.

TB rules: no pics, no bass. :)

7. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Great find.
    I'm a huge fan of the Lytes. They are pretty much all I play any more. My preference is for Fender 9050 flats.
    Is yours a deluxe (natural mahogany body is the biggest clue)?
    At any rate the only thing that can stand improvement IMHO is the electronics, and there are many options there.

8. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I had a couple of them. Electronics are the weak part of the bass. I had mine wired passive with DiMarzios. Tone changed 100% for the better.

9. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Mine are the Deluxe model, which has a different bridge pup than the standard. My (factory) fretless has EMG PJ pups with the EMG BQS tone circuit / preamp. My fretted one has the stock pups with Audere electronics.

The stock pups are actually passive and sound decent passive, but I like them better with the active tone circuit.

10. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Mine is not the deluxe (dark purple burst). So far, the sound is pretty good. I appreciate the advice on electronics, however, I think I'm going to work with what I've got before I go to changing them out. Obviously, an inexpensive instrument is likely to have some weaknesses. I'll keep an eye (and an ear) on them.

Raf

11. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Don't think of it as an inexpensive instrument. Over the years that I have been playing the Lytes, I've gotten rid of my MIA Fenders because they never got played.

12. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

I also went passive with the electronics I mine, but I held onto the active circuit completely intact in case I wanted to go back. These are the best basses people just don't know about. You are gonna love it, even if you don't change anything but the strings. :)

13. SpecialBlender

SpecialBlender

When the Lyte's first came out I was looking for a new bass and the local store actually had a lot of basses on hand. Tried all of them and couldn't find one I liked, got ready to leave. Sales guy said don't leave I've got one in back that just came in, haven't even opened the box yet. Brought me the Charcoal Lyte, plugged it in and there was the sound I had been looking for. I played it for 10 years before I bought my first 5 string. Tried to hang onto it but times got tough and I couldn't justify hanging onto a bass I wasn't using so I sold it to a friend with the understanding I had first shot at it if he decided to sell. He still has it and won't part with it.

Best 4 string I've ever owned.

14. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Depending on condition, its worth anywhere between 2 and 5 times what you paid for it. You got yourself a steal.

15. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

This was a case where I dickered for it for about a year. The guy that had it was a former student of mine and he first offered it for $300, but he said he would come down for me. I let it go, and at least six months later, he advertised it in a yard sale for $150. I waited a couple of weeks and then texted him, saying that if the bass hadn't sold, I'd give him a hundred for it. I wasn't desperate for, so I was kind of fooling around with him, although, I wouldn't have minded having the bass. A month went by, and I was going into a hardware store and he came flying up in his truck and jumped out.

"Mr. Seibert! Make me a deal!" We haggled a little and agreed on the price, but it was another month or two before he finally brought it to my house (I live a block from his mother-in-law) and I gave him a check. I plugged it in and, nobody home. He told me about the active electronics, so we swapped out the batteries and all was well.

All in all, I'm tickled with it. The only downside is that I was in a car wreck right afterward and broke my left hand, so I've been a while getting back to it.

16. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

wow that is a steal Raf, im jealous, congratulations. iirc, the purpleburst foto-flame you have was notorious for finish cracking but if yours is in good shape, even better :)

i have a zone, which replaced the lyte, and again, i can attest to poor factory electronics. i replaced mine with a vintage peavey pj set of active emg-style pickups i got off ebay, and it sounds amazing without the stock circuit. much more even and comprehensive tone.

sorry to hear about the accident, get better soon so you can put that lyte to good use :bassist:

17. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i gigged one for a couple of years. i really like the lace sensors, they sound very 'fender-y' to my ears. i ran them passive.

in the interest of fairness, i think you should give the kid an extra $25. bucks. or buy him some beer. something. and you should wear a mask because you stole that bass!

18. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  19. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

if the lace sensors were stock, i believe youre confusing the lyte
    with the precision plus deluxe.

Plus deluxe:
    [​IMG]

Lyte:
    [​IMG]

20. pnchad

pnchad

had a fretless that I gigged for several yrs

agreed that the electronics/pups are the weak spot

loved the feel - mine had what felt like a J neck - nice & slim

enjoy

21. schecter5string

schecter5string

I play a P lyte also, love that bass.
    And yes you stole it, i paid $375/with hard shell case for mine.
    Mine is still stock, i have been thinking about maybe going passive with it.