1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Precision Bass - warped neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by amnesoid, Sep 7, 2013.

1. amnesoid

amnesoid

I have had a dis-used and forgotten Fender Precision Squier bass in my basement for years now, inherited it from a friend. It never did get played much. I picked it up the other day and noticed that the neck seemed quite warped.

Further investigation showed that the truss rod nut seemed to have snapped off at some point in the past.

I have researched truss rod / nut replacement a bit. But I really have no interest in investing any money into this thing. But I figured I would put a clamp on it and check for improvement over the course of a few days.

Has anyone had any success with straightening a neck, or forgoing anything having to do with the truss rod altogether? Or is the truss rod a pretty crucial part of the equation?

We'll see how this goes. I may decide to move this set-up into the garage and put a small ceramic heater nearby to help convince the wood fibers to take my side.

[​IMG]

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Warped would be equivalent to twisted, correct?

Here's what I did - I let a weight hang on the neck for a couple of months, twisting the neck back into line.

This photo shows the neck clamped in place and two tuners removed, replaced by bolts that fixed a block of plywood to the headstock:

[​IMG]

View of underside of headstock where plywood was bolted on - idea was to attach a cord to the outer end of the plywood and then hang weight on the cord to twist the neck back into line:

[​IMG]

Cord from end of plywood to weight:

[​IMG]

This did actually work.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

cool!

did you apply heat, or just time?

as for that squier, if the truss rod nut is indeed snapped off then i highly doubt any amount of "straightening", even heat treating, will make for a neck that's playable with no truss rod tension.

4. SneakyT

SneakyT

You really need a truss rod. No real way around that.

5. Register to disable this ad