Fender Precision Bass with no Serial number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Marshall, Dec 1, 2013.

1. David Marshall

David Marshall

Hello all, first post!

I bought Fender Precision bass for my son from a reputable store that stands behind what they sell. I am concerned there is no SN on the back of the head stock. It was sold as a Mike Dirnt. Any info would be helpful. I am tempted to take it back and ask for a refund or trade on another. I have to think it could be a knock off, yet the guitar looks excellent in all other ways. I just don't see being able to resell it someday without the SN.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. JACink

JACink

Can you post pics? I am sure the Fender gurus will be able to help!
  3. David Marshall

David Marshall

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/60b2cvjvbjwczhe/Hh4YkBfHyd

We were told this is a Fender Mike Dirnt Precision Bass, 1951 telecaster reissue. We were also told it had custom shop pickups. It has the Badass II bridge.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for us.

Thanks in advance. Dave
  4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

That's definitely a Mike Dirnt with too many correct details to be a knockoff.

Strange that it didn't come with a S/N. I'd exchange it for another for the resale and security reasons you mentioned.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GM60466

GM60466

It looks right - maybe a 2nd???
  7. David Marshall

David Marshall

Thanks for the feedback - We bought it on consignment so there aren't others to choose from.
  8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I had one. It was light yellow (I don't know the Fender color.) Mine had normal Fender clear coat on the headstock.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Bass is legit, my money is on it being or have been stolen though. Fender is not one to put stickers on for serial numbers, I have never seen a Fender without a serial but I suppose they might exist.
  10. landau roof

Are there signs of it being sanded off the back of the headstock?
  11. Stinsok

Look at the heel of the neck. Looks pretty square to me.
  12. David Marshall

David Marshall

No signs of it being sanded off and the finish looks 100% original. The guy who was the originally owner dropped into the store when we were there buying the bass. He was in his 60s and apparently well healed financially...not someone to be stealing guitars. We paid $675 CDN with a nice case. It was not a Fender case.
  13. David Marshall

David Marshall

What year do estimate this is from roughly?
  14. David Marshall

David Marshall

I just checked out the bass again. The finish on the neck is incredibly smooth. The finish on the back of the head stock is not as smooth to the touch but it appears to be original.
  15. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

Everything looks exactly as it should for a Mike Dirnt except for the lack of serial number and 'Made in mexico' label on back of the headstock.
  16. landau roof

I'm not positive when, but I think the sunburst models were released pretty recently. I'm not sure if the serial is printed on or underneath the finish, but if it's on top, it's possible that it could be removed without going all the way to wood.

Here's one for $640 US with serial intact.

Fender Mike Dirnt Precision Bass 2-Tone Sunburst 886830930270
  17. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

I have a 2003 black Dirnt and it looks legit to me down to the strap buttons and neck plate with the CE/Recycle stickers

No serial # is strange though, but since the owner was there when you were buying it it seems legit. Too bad you didn't ask him about the serial #.

Dirnt's are nice basses. I don't play mine much since I prefer Jazz width necks and my Dirnt is a bit on the heavy (10.5 lbs) side for me.

[​IMG]
  18. David Marshall

David Marshall

I can have the shop owner call the previous owner of the instrument to ask about when he bought it, who he bought it from and why no SN. My vote is someone that is really hand took the SN off and possibly the MIM. It just doesn't make any sense.
  19. rocmonster

rocmonster

Maybe the previous owner didn't like the MIM label and the MXXXXXX serial and they just sanded it off with fine grit, resprayed clear, and polished it until it was barely noticeable?
  20. Stinsok

21. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

Here's the back of my Dirnt in case your wondering where the serial # was

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]