1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Precision Fret Size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djkool, Dec 29, 2013.

1. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

Looking for anyone who can tell me the original fret size on a 59-60 P-Bass. I had mine replaced 20+ years ago because I tore them up with round wound strings. The replacement frets are/were definitely narrower. Over the years the action has changed a lot, so I'm having a Luthier set the bass up again and he is suggesting new frets and offering two different sizes, both wider than what I have, but one is taller. I'm inclined to go with the shorter ones because I recall the originals being wide and squat.

Any suggestions out there or original fret dimensions?

Adder: a little googling seems to indicate 6230 as the original fret size used on vintage guitars, but I found at least one reference to P-basses using "vintage" size (6150?).

2. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

Some great ideas! Thanks for responding. I guess I have quite a few options to explore.

I'm curious if the person who suggested a target of 10% deflection/compression is baseing this on any testing or development of a damage boundary using instrumentation.

3. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

Forget that last post. Accidentally responded to the wrong thread.