1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Precision Fret Size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djkool, Dec 29, 2013.

1. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

Looking for anyone who can tell me the original fret size on a 59-60 P-Bass. I had mine replaced 20+ years ago because I tore them up with round wound strings. The replacement frets are/were definitely narrower. Over the years the action has changed a lot, so I'm having a Luthier set the bass up again and he is suggesting new frets and offering two different sizes, both wider than what I have, but one is taller. I'm inclined to go with the shorter ones because I recall the originals being wide and squat.

Any suggestions out there or original fret dimensions?

Adder: a little googling seems to indicate 6230 as the original fret size used on vintage guitars, but I found at least one reference to P-basses using "vintage" size (6150?).
  2. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

Some great ideas! Thanks for responding. I guess I have quite a few options to explore.

I'm curious if the person who suggested a target of 10% deflection/compression is baseing this on any testing or development of a damage boundary using instrumentation.
  3. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

Forget that last post. Accidentally responded to the wrong thread.