1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Precision Plus Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by katri, Jun 15, 2007.

1. katri

katri

Hey,
    recently i have being GASsing majorly for a fender presision plus bass, but as they are no longer made its prooving hard too find one,i was wondering can anyone here give me some info about this bass.
    Thanks
    Dan

p.s also can anyone give me some info about the schaller bridge featured on this model.
  2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

Ask your question in the subject line when it's so short and simple. If someone searches the forum in the future to find info on a Fender Precision Plus bass it's unlikely they're going to use "Two burning questions..." as their search words.
  3. katri

katri

noted and changed
  4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Precision with J-bridge pickup and Jazz neck with a 1.5" (3.75cm) width and rosewood or maple finger board. I don't know much about the Schaller bridge but I believe it would be a decent addition to the bass. It is a passive bass and was the precursor to the American Deluxe with the bucker in the bridge pu position.
  6. Beta

Beta

The Schaller bridge has fine tuners on it. The ones you usually find for sale might not have all, or any, of them.

Schaller stopped making them a long time ago, and won't be able to furnish replacement parts. I also read an anecdotal account of someone asking Schaller about parts, and nobody there knowing anything at all about the bridge. Not even a model name/number.

It's not the typical Schaller roller bridge.

There's a P-Plus for sale on Ebay right now (actually, it says it's a Precision Plus, but it has a standard bridge, doesn't have Lace Sensor pickups, has three pots, and no pickup selector or series/parallel switch- so it may not actually be one), but I don't think it's been well cared for.
  7. katri

katri

i checked ebay and the one i think you were talking about has said its a special not a plus. but IMOH it looks like a mexi deluxe.

Its strange that so little is known about the bridge. and yes i have seen the Harmony central but i was lookin for some pics too
  8. Beta

Beta

A Google image search yielded this:

[​IMG]

The ones that seem most coveted are the blueburst ones.
  9. mwharvey

mwharvey Mike Harvey Gold Supporting Member

I have one that I bought new around 1990 and I use all the time. Besides what was mentioned by both Christle and Beta, the neck is a little longer than a standard precision (22 frets) and the body has a little different shape (longer upper horn to balance the longer neck). It came with Lace pickups and passive tone controls, but I didn't like the sound and replaced those with EMG and later with Bartolinis. The neck (maple) on mine is the easiest Fender neck I have ever played, but I've played one (rosewood) that weren't as good. I removed the fine tuners from the bridge because the bass stays in tune pretty well.
  10. Andy V.

Andy V.

I have a blueburst, maple neck.
    Still original, with the Lace Sensors.

The neck is really awesome and I do like the sound of this pickups.
    The fine tuning bridge does the job very well too.
    My bass stays in tune for a looong time.

The different body feels great too. Very well balanced.
  11. Beta

Beta

Lucky dog. I'm not into Fenders, but I'd make an exception for one of those.

(No pics, no bass...)
  12. M5Yates

M5Yates

13. GobBass

GobBass

curse the 'Ships only to US' ...grr :scowl: :mad: :scowl:
  14. M5Yates

M5Yates

If you find one, I'd be happy to ship it to you.
    When I looked again at the blue one, I noticed the seller had zero Feedback.
    Not good.
  15. Andy V.

Andy V.

I'll post quality pics tomorrow.
    Mine is passive and I prefer it over the ones with no pickguards and kubicki preamps.

I used to own a pre Fender Kubicki Ex-Factor and compared it side by side to a Jazz Bass Plus with kubicki preamp.
    The original Kubicki was way better than the Fender.
    Waaay better.
    IMO, of course.

The P Plus has an amazing organic tone.

I've always been a 5 string active bass guy and was not into Fenders either, but then I tried this bass and wow...
    It's my main axe right now.
    My new Stingray 5 HS is collecting dust.
  16. steviecsg

steviecsg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's mine...mint condition 1992 model
  17. GobBass

GobBass

why can't fender make basses like this anymore??
    and don't say the p bass special.
  18. Beta

Beta

'Cause Pete Wentz doesn't play one.
  19. Fender32

Fender32

I recently sold a Fender Elite 1 Precision Bass (similar to the Precision Plus) and featuring the same high mass, Schaller bridge.

IMO, that bridge really robbed the bass of any "woodiness" to the tone and, whilst I was using it, I changed the bridge for a low mass variety (sounded a lot better, IME).

Maybe you should go and look at a used one, before you decide to buy, as the tone may be "lighter" and more "hi-fi", than a regular P Bass, I suspect.

Here's a bridge pic for you, anyway ;) :

[​IMG]
  20. Fender32

Fender32

A couple more for you, just to feed the GAS ;

[​IMG]