Fender Precision Special - Seafoam Green

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmbjandfam, May 14, 2012.

1. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

I tried to do a search but didn't see anything on this but forgive me if its already been posted.

I was in Guitar Center Saturday and spied a new Fender Precision Special (P Body, P & J pickups, passive). It is a stunning Seafoam Green Pearl with a Maple Jazz neck with black blocks and binding. It is not listed on Fender's website or the GC website and I was told it is a Guitar Center exclusive.

Has anyone else seen this? I am in total lust for this based on looks and specs, however it is priced at 799.00 for Mexican Made Fender which I think is a bit much for a MIM.

Is it worth it, lust has overcome me with SEAFOAM GREEN?

2. rob4001va

rob4001va

I'd like to see that too.
    I don't have a green bass....yet.

3. kedo

kedo

Saw one last Sunday... epic.

[​IMG]

Bad pic, but you get the idea...

4. jmbjandfam

yes yes yes thats it but you are right, in person the color is to die for

i thought it was passive but i may be wrong, that looks active with all those controls

i want i want i want it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Only sold IN STORES for Guitar Center. Is it worth it? If an active Precision bass with P/J configuration is worth it to you, then it is.

Ash body, Pearlescent Seafoam Green, High Mass Bridge, and glossed maple fretboard with block inlays. Think of the regular MIM Precision Special but about a couple of hundred dollars worth in mods done for you for just $100 extra dollars.

Seriously, that paint job would cost around $300 (give or take $20) for someone else to do the job. The high mass bridge (if that's your thing) would be an extra $40 (assuming you purchase brand new). And the neck - oh, my - don't even get me started. That's about another $300-350 just to buy separately and smack that on. Also, the ash body helps (for those with the wood fetish) over the regular alder. That quite deal for just $799.

Most GCs I've contacted have either received 1 or 2 of them, and I am not sure if they will get a 2nd batch. Personally, I fought GAS for a 2 weeks before I decided that I don't need it. As for everyone else: Buy it. Love it. Play it. Rock it.

7. pgolliher

pgolliher

8. jmbjandfam

THANKS FOR STOKING THE FIRE! :hyper::hyper::help::help::help::help:

9. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I played one yesterday and can't say I was bowled over by it. As stated above, it's essentially a Special with some froufrou on it. If the color rings your chimes, go for it, but it didn't speak to me.

10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I love the bass but :bag: not crazy about the color. Would love to have a Fender PJ.

11. jmbjandfam

I would prefer it to be passive but the color has just got my eye for sure. The thing is, I have played a Fender Special MIM active before and wasn't a huge fan but some flats on it may tame the zing?

I am holding off for now to make sure it's not just the color that makes me want it.

12. groovefactor

groovefactor

Hi fellas. Found this thread and thought i'd share my thoughts on the Fender Special MIM PJ Sea Foam green bass. I personally didn't like the color at first. After I played it though WOW! I was blown away. I own an American Jazz 5. The PJ really surprised me. It was very versatile with tones varying from the motown p bass (Jamerson) to modern full round to the famous bridge pickup tone (Jaco) and everything in between. Then, it started to look really nice to me :) So i bought it, tweaked the action a little and i'm very satisfied! Attached is a pic... she's hot :D

Attached Files:

13. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Trust me. Most of us suffering from GAS over this bass is because of the color coupled with the blocked maple board. Everything else aside (the neck and ash body) the pickups and electronics are the same as the MIM Precision Special. If you can jive with that, then buying the bass is a no-brainer.

Thankfully, I have already seen the bass in person and gave it a whirl. I'm not a fan of active pickups and P/J combo isn't as solid (to me) as a P/P pickup (I'm looking at you, Fender Blacktop Jazz). The neck is definitely a winner, but the pearl seafoam isn't as "catchy" to me as regular or metallic seafoam. Again, that's just me. :p

14. jmbjandfam

Ah perfect... a bedroom shot to stoke the lust :D

15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Fender makes that bass (Deluxe Active P Bass Special) in other colors for about $100 less than the GC special run version. They also make much more expensive American P/Js as well as basses like the Aerodyne and several Jaguars that have both kinds of pickups though the P is not in the "magic" spot. So there is no reason you should go without a Fender P/J if you want one. I did not care for that bass from the pictures here, the color mainly, but I did see it in my local GC over the weekend and it looks very nice in person.

Ken

16. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude Supporting Member

Looks pretty cool... Does it happen to have a Jazz width neck/nut (1.5") by any chance?

17. jmbjandfam

yes, it is a jazz neck

18. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Thanks! :D Now, I know I've gotta try one out... I did a google search, and found nothing. In store only deal I guess?

19. jmbjandfam

yes in store only, not listed on GC website or Fender website and believe me the photos in this thread do not do justice to the actual color, it is just plain SICK NASTY AWESOME :bassist:

20. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Very cool! :bassist: I may have to drop by MY local GC and see if they have one.

21. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i tried one of these out today, along with a MIM standard P-Bass and MIA standard P-Bass and i feel this bass' quality was closer to the MIA standard that i played. not so sure if i liked the metallic part of the finish, but the binding looked a lot better in person, when i first saw it in the catalog i thought it was kinda cheesey. it played really nice but it did need a setup, the volume of each string was different. it sounded good but it's not my tone, it didn't seem to have the growl that the passive p-basses do. it was kinda funny, they had it pretty high up so i had to ask someone to take it down for me, and the guy taking it down said it was the exact bass he was saving up for, so i don't think that was a coincidence haha