Fender primer colors??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gbrooding, Feb 4, 2014.

1. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

I have a black 1978 Fender Precision that the finish/paint has worn over the years in a few spots down to the wood. It appears that there was a coat of red under the black. Was this a primer color used by Fender, or possibly the original color?
  2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Didn't Fender used to solid color paint instruments when clear and burst finishes didn't come out well? I seem to remember a post of a solid color over a burst not being unusual from the factory. Maybe they were just refinished to complete an order? I mention this because I'm not aware of red being used as an undercoat color. (I am not an expert btw)
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Yes. A factory respray isn't unheard of from Fender when bursts didn't meet their standards.

I've only ever heard of Fender using white as an actual primer/wood sealer color.
  4. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

This apparently happen with other colors as well.
    Say they had made too many black p's and where short on lpb, they would shoot lpb over the black.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    That explains those heavy relics with bursts and reds under other colors.
  7. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Yup, especially in the 60s when they were pumping out the standard sunburst scheme. If they hosed it up or needed a custom job it is said that Fender would shoot the other color right over the original sprayed color.
  8. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

Thanks! Makes sense. This red is the same as the red on my 71 sunburst, so it may have started out as a burst.
  9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Maybe it was the red from a 3 color burst before adding the 3rd color. A fair amount of it would be red for sure.