1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Prophecy II By Heartfield?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Feb 7, 2011.

1. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Any ideas on the value of one of these oddball Fenders?

Natural body - double-pointed black headstock, gold hardware, 'Prophecy II' on the truss cover with a P/J config and four knobs.

Japanese serial number: D10186

I can get pixs - but not at the moment.

Is this the long lost very valuable bass that is like finding the King's coffee pot in the Lost City Of Atlantis?
  2. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

3. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

So-o-o-o - they really DO exist?

interesting and I'll get some more info this Wednesday when I make my rounds to friends and stores that have all this oddball stuff.

Thanks for the comeback too.
  4. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

No problem. Have you done a search? They also go under the name "Heartfield," but it's basically just a Fender made in Japan.

Here's mine with the stock pickups and preamp:

[​IMG]

Do you like yours?
  5. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Oh - I don't own it - it's a friend's and I played it - love the p'ups as I am a sucker for the P/J combo now that I bought the VM-Jaguar.

I keep looking at P/Js and wonder which it will finally be for me - perhaps the Reggie Hamilton will do it for me, but as yet I haven't held one in my hands.

Yours is very good looking - simple - I like simple a lot. I never noticed the offset dots on the first 9 positions though.
  6. frickbass

frickbass

Fender did sell the Prophecy II under both the Fender name and the Heartfield name. My is a 80s Red Fender. The active p/j pickups are quite nice. My is a clear read color.
  7. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

I have a cherry burst '92. Same electronice as the early P-Lyte in a more modern looking(ie.- like the high end Ibanez guitars/basses of the period) body. The first year they were called Heartfield by Fender but didn't sell that well. The next year they put a Fender logo on the headstock and a heartfield sticker by the volute that quickly pealed off. Great basses that take to pickup replacement well. If I weren't such a passive fan mine would get a great deal more playtime.
  8. Dricoman

Dricoman

I love mine. It has active electronics:hyper: and it really has some punch. The batteries last a long time. It is very well made. Light weight (smaller body) so I take it to jams if the other bass gets to heavy and I need a break it's there. I had a Prophecy three which I sold:crying: but wish I hadn't it had a set neck and was very nice made. I also have a Prophecy one which is just a basic bass like a Ibanez but still is a nice bass. I saw one of the Prophecy two's just sell on ebay for $285.00 and it's the same color as mine. They usually go for around $400.00. What a great well made bass!!! get one..:hyper: Why not they are so cheap. You can never have to many basses:bassist:
  9. Kink Rimson

Kink Rimson

Troy from Mastodon played one of these for Donkey's years... Not sure if he still uses it or if it's been honourably retired.
  10. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Back in the 1990s, a friend of mine bought the top end Prophecy bass. Neck through, clear blue finish, gold hardware..........

Nice bass! I had a chance to buy it later, but passed. Wished I had picked it up when I had the chance.
  11. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

I've read rave reviews on these basses. The 5 stringer I played for a few sets one night was merely ok. Such an expensive bass, with so little detail. There was nothing Fender about it, but maybe they weren't going for that, dunno. They'll never be collectible, I wouldn't think.
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Prophecy basses are common, and are on the used market all the time. The I's and II's usually sell for well under $400. The III's, which are the neck through version, go for a hundred or so more. Nice basses, and a good value.
  13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I imagine what you're talking about is the Heartfield DR bass. I don't believe Fender ever made a 5-string Prophecy. The Heartfield DR's are very very nice basses, and IMO were ahead of their time. Shame they didn't last, but most people who buy Fender products aren't open to new ideas.
  14. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

I'm definitely not one of the close minded. My favorite Fender's are the Plus, and the Plus Deluxe series of 1989-1994. I'd give an appendage for an ash Precision Plus with all the fixin's.