Fender PS400 vs Super Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by zachoff, Dec 20, 2012.

1. zachoff

zachoff

Anyone have experience with both and want to chime in?

I've had a love affair with the PS400 for a while... Never actually played through one but have heard a couple and thought they were awesome... I've always thought the only thing that could usurp my SVT (maybe) was a 300W+ Bassman & that's what the PS400 sounded like to me. Anyway, I'm wondering if the Super Bassman holds a candle to the old heavy dog or if they're two different animals. Also wondering if the Super Bassman can cop the old Bassman 100/135 tone but be louder.

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sorry, I have not played a PS400 but I can answer the second part of your question having owned a few Bassman 100/135s. Yes, the vintage channel on the Super Bassman is as you say - the old Bassman tone but considerably louder. In fact the new Bassman 100T also seems to have quite a bit more headroom than the old Bassman 100. The overdrive channel on the new SB300 can also be used as an exremely versatile tone control without necessarily using overdrive - I will stick my neck out here and say that it can cop the SVT vibe closer than any tube amp I have played other than an SVT. The variable mid control is a dream to work with.

3. zachoff

zachoff

Right on, man... I miss my '80 Bassman 135. It was awesome and took to pedals so well but farted out so quickly. I've only ever wanted something that sounded the same that could get loud. I love my SVT, but would maybe trade it for a Bassman 135x3. Ha. Thanks for the info. It's intriguing to say the least.

4. newbold

newbold

If you grab a 100T you can use it to drive a power amp post transformer.

this way you can get all the power soak you want out of the head and with the right power amp get as much power as you'd ever need...while being able to run a small cab in your apartment without blowing cones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pgk

pgk

i have (ps400). sorry, but Nothing holds a candle to ps400 afa a sheer power tube head goes. well maybe a reeves 400 or a marshall vba 400, that's about it for modern heads. remember, we're talking 465 Honest tube watts RMS, and not some hyped up snake oil (rated power @5 or 10% distortion, etc) power rating....long live the king

7. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Unless it's been modified, the PS 400 only puts out about 145 watts per speaker output.

To get the full output, you need to connect a 4 ohm load to each of the three outputs.

8. pgk

pgk

ok, 435 watts then (145x3), i was 30 off. and yes if one really knew what they were doing, and they had a fresh set of GE 6550A's, they can be modded to put out over 500 watts CLEAN. the mind boggles at the thought...

9. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I wasn't commenting on the total output.
    Just letting others know that it takes three 4 ohm speaker cabinets to get the full power.

10. pgk

pgk

gotcha. there was a guy on a thread here quite awhile back who had a custom 3-15 made, with three 4 ohm 15's, so that he could get the head's full power but into one cab. i can't imagine!

11. zachoff

zachoff

Interesting... I'll have to check that out.

12. chewy teeth

chewy teeth

13. pgk

pgk

oh yeah, that's the motherlode of all 400ps info right there. the 300ps might be the more "real world" option though, because i can't imagine what a nos sextet of GE6550A's would run these days, and that's the only tube that will work unless you mod the amp. and even though it's "only" 300 watts, a 300ps will still spank and svt into next sunday afa clean power/headroom goes. "once upon a time, back when giants roamed the earth....."

14. Tim1

Tim1

Still noone around who has actually played both, though?
    Hardly surprising since the Super Bassman is about the newest tube head on the block, while the 400PS ceased production many years ago. The sheer weight of the 400 would deter me at this stage of my playing career. The Super Bassman is a relatively light 300 watts and certainly nicely balanced to lift.

15. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Or 1 cab with three sets of sockets, and that might be a custom wired six by ten these days of high displacement and power handling ten inch speakers.:D
    OK a six by twelve then to let the 400ps breath a bit?:D:D
    But then what would happen if you accidentally bought 16 ohm drivers by mistake;)oh yes now I can see the devilish logic in the beast.
    [​IMG]
    Change the cab sides design and shrink and port it for twelve inch neo drivers. slap on a bit of tolex instead and hey presto a perfect compact lightweight 12X12cab for a mighty 400PS.
    Who said just because some of us changed to neodymium magnets you have to take less weight in equipment, surly this is just science showing us the way to achieve far more, for the same weight.:hyper::hyper::hyper: