Fender "Pure Vintage" Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 2manynotes, Jan 23, 2014.

1. 2manynotes

2manynotes

2. pedroims

pedroims

Sounds interesting, are these Custom shop that comes with the new J and P bass that everybody is talking about.

Maybe these are the pickups that are used in the new vintage series? http://www.fender.com/series/american-vintage/

Price is high so I am assuming they are something special.
  3. 2manynotes

2manynotes

No.

Yes, according to the descriptions.

THAT remains to be heard.

I (supposedly) have the Custom Shop 60s in a 2012 American Standard Jazz. Fender's published resistance specs for the CS 60s are

Neck: 9.0k ohms
    Bridge: 8.8k ohms.

Mine measure

Neck 7.14k ohms
    Bridge 7.42k ohms.

Who knows? They sound good.
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

i wonder if they changed the custom shop 60's when they became standard in the american jazzes? the old published spec on those pickups was in line with what yours read at.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 2manynotes

2manynotes

I have been looking all over the net for someone who bought a separate set of CS60s in the last year and measured the resistance. No luck.

Mine are the original set that came in the 2012 Jazz. It had the sticker on the pick guard that said it is equipped with the CS60s.
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Odd. Your dcr readings are pretty much the same as every set I've owned(I've actually had some neck pickups read in the high 6k range)

Wonder if its just a misprint or if they overhauled them this year?
  8. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Interested in the P pickups. How do people with a '63 RI like these pickups?
  9. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Can't speak to the P Bass pickups but I really like the ones in my 74 Jazz. However at this price point, lot's of options.
  10. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

I'm dragging this out again in case anyone has any more info at this point.

I'm interested in the new Pure Vintage '74 Jazz pair for a parts build. Does anyone have anything to add about them? Has anyone ordered a set from Fender?

Is anyone else enjoying these '74s in their newer vintage series Jazz?

Btw, I think the confusion about the DC resistance on the CS 60s is a just a publishing mistake. Fender's website lists around 9K ohms for both positions, however the packaging shown on the same page, and the packaging that I've seen, lists 7.1K ohms.
  11. BassLife77

BassLife77

That "Pure Vintage" term is just a marketing tool. For some reason a lot of people are think "vintage" is better. If Fender is selling a hyped up 30 cent cap for $15 then I don't really trust them anymore. You can still get a great vintage tone for a whole lot less money
  12. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

If they are $180 list, wouldn't retail be closer to $120?
  13. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

That would be my guess and it would put them in similar price range to other boutique options like Fralins, Lollars, etc. Fender product people know that they'll be competing in this range. Pure Vintage probably stems from the fact that these are pickups from the new American Vintage line. Of course the term vintage has been over used since it first became popular in the 80s but the consensus across the board is that the newer AV series basses have done the best job to date of capturing instruments from those periods. Knowing that these models would be closely evaluated and scrutinized by players they clearly did their homework. Pickup design is pretty well understood at this point so not a lot of voodoo or magic left just a lot of great choices depending on your preference for tone. I think these are great pickups and wouldn't hesitate to try them in another bass. I've never owned a real 70s jazz but have played a few. They sound nice and full but still retain that great upper mid character of a jazz. As a recent point of reference, I played a G&L MJ4 with their new designed pickups and found them pretty sterile. But then again, there are a bunch of new Aguilar pickups I'd like to try too...
  14. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

"Pure Hype" is more like it.

They're using Formvar in many places they should be using PE.
  15. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Shouldn't the '58 use plain enamel wire instead of Formvar? I know the AV57 pup did...
  16. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Good info! Thanks for sharing. I was impressed with the CS 60s, nicer build quality and they sound great...I didn't have much time with them, though, and I'm still looking for tonal comparisons between the CS 60s and the two newer "Pure Vintage" pickups. I hope they are built to the same level of quality as the CS 60s and if the '74s bring some warmth and low end over the CS 60s then I want a set specifically for a new build.

As to the marketing and the validity of the "Pure Vintage" trade name, I couldn't care less. I like the pickups, or at least I think I might.
  17. kurpak

kurpak Supporting Member

The new "pure vintage" 63 precision pickups are what come in the current revamped reissues. They sound really really good, authentic fender like the 62 RI pups.. but have a LOT more output. I think the previous pickups (original 62) are wound around 10.5k, these are 12k. The old 62 style are what come with the custom shop basses in different flavors(with the gross beveled magnets:meh:)
    To me, those pickups sound good but the output is just a tad too low for my tastes. These new one's sound so good I ditched the pickups in my CS 59 for a set of these if that says anything:D
    I have a real 63 p, and in comparison the output and responsiveness is very close to my ears. The new ones are a tiny bit less gritty\midrange grindy.. and have a touch more clarity compared to the vintage pickups, but in a good musical way.
    I've tried all the other pickups, fralins, lollars, antiquity II etc... and these are my favorite so far!
    I was able to score a set off of ebay in a loaded pickguard, but I'm pretty sure these will be available for sale in a month or two. Buying another set when they come out.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    After my experience with the EMG Geezer Butler P blowing away the 62 Original my 09 AmStd Precision had in it, I'm done with Fender pickups.
  19. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Nice to see/hear/read the GZer is still holding up, Jimmy. Terrific to hear from someone who plays a lot.
  20. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

This seems like an interesting pickup. I have an spb1 in my bass and i forget exactly but i think it measures in at 12.8k. Pretty sure i want something just a bit lower. The lollar at 11k is tempting me.
  21. Ray man

Ray man

Can anybody comment on the '74 pure vintage in comparison to the '75 reissue J-pickups?
    Are they made alike?