1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender RI 66 Limited edition 2013

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedroims, Dec 30, 2013.

1. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Currently I am looking for a jazz bass and found a Fender RI 66 2013 Limited edition. Bass looks pretty cool, does any have any experience with this bass? I am between this or a RW.
  2. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Never heard of a '66 RI by Fender. Is this a Custom Shop bass or something else?
  3. pedroims

4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

It is very sweet.

I picked up one up on a whim and was surprised by how nice it is. Fit and finish are perfect. Neck is slick and comfortable. Tone, at least to me, nails the vintage flavor.
  5. pedroims

Thanks BIGEJ2, the price seems fair, cheaper than a Lakland DJ and mostly same specs.
  6. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

That does look nice. There are certainly some neat variations coming from Japan.
  7. BillySid

BillySid Supporting Member

I have one myself also. Great feeling and playing bass with that sweet vintage jazz tone. Extremely happy with it!
  8. greybeard125

greybeard125 Supporting Member

i got one too. Picked it up so I could retire my 66 which looks just like it except for the painted head and am very happy with it. The neck is identical to my original and is so smooth. I added some lollypops to make it look right. The pick ups are a bit lame, BUT, I have been playing the grail for many many years so can't complain. You can't go wrong with this bass. Shop around & u can find it for under a grand.
    Good luck
  9. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

I own both a RW and the 66 RI. They are both great. The neck on the 66 is unbelievable. The sound is thick. The fit and finish is superb, and I was able to get a really nice set up out of it. Mine weighs 9.4 pounds, and all the ones I have seen are right around that mark (not a feather, but also not an anchor).

I love the RW Jazz as well, but I have experienced some inconsistencies from them. The early ones are really light weight, some even in the 7 pound range. Most of the new ones are in the 9 pound range. The neck profiles are different from bass to bass as well (actually, my favorite neck of all time is a RW that I have, but it is unique among all that I have played. In some ways this makes the RW series even more like the old ones, as they were all a bit unique as well). If you want an old school 60s sound and vibe, then you can't beat the RW. The only thing that bothers me about the RW is the CNC hole on the body, but that is just me (some of the early models don't have it). The 66 sounds great, but it's a little brighter overall than the RW. The Japanese Fender sound has a quality of it's own.

I played them both with a drummer, and I think the RW cut a little bit better.

You can't go wrong either way. Hit me up if you want more details.