Fender Road Worn '60s Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fredy, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Fredy

Fredy

Hej TB !! I'm really close to buying a new bass, and as the title says, i've been looking at look at a Roadworn 60's. But there is some things i need to know about the bass before i wanna buy it.
    Does anyone know have this bass who can give me some infomation and an opinion ? Is it Mexican or USA ? and does anyone know the weight of the bass ? If there is one thing that i just hate about basses its if their to heavey !!! :bassist:

[​IMG]
  2. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

The Road Worn basses are Mexican, relatively lightweight, and some of the best basses Fender make. My RW Jazz is around 8.5 lbs. and my RW P is a hair over 8.

Dan
  3. ahc

ahc

4. dtripoli

dtripoli

How much those things cost? here's one on LA CL for $800
    Also, they must have been on the same road cause the wear marks are the same
    Fiesta Jazz
    [​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have seen Road Worns in the high 7# range and in the very low 9# range ... like every bass model, weight will vary ... the P's generally will run lighter than a J, as is the case in most of the Fender line-up ...
  7. bh2

bh2

They're Mexican, they're light and they're very nice!
  8. interp

interp Gold Supporting Member

Excellent instruments! They are usually lighter than standard Fenders (the body and headstock are 1/8" thinner front to back, just like the pre-CBS basses). I owned a Jazz RW and still own a Precision RW. Both are very close in feel and sound to my current real '62 Jazz and a real '58 Precision that I used to own.
  9. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

These are extremely nice basses! I have had a 62J, 63P, 2x69J and a few later ones. I have to admit that the RW basses are very very close to these old originals, perhaps even better than some of the average ones from 60s.
  10. Fredy

Fredy

Wow, thanks for the awesome responses, gotta pretty good feel about this one, im from Denmark where the bass is at about $1700 but i'll be spending the next week in chicago were i would like to buy it, any help with find the cheapest place ? :) guitarcenter ?
  11. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

The Road Worsn are great basses but most of the online shops are blowing out the American Vintage 62 Jazzes. I just picked up a beautiful 3 tones sunburst for about the same price. Plus I get to relic it myself. :)
    Take Care,
    Brent
  12. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

RW jbasses are great. I had one and sold it but wish I hadnt now.
  13. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Cool basses. I have two rw J's. A Fiesta Red with rounds/Fralins and a sunburst with flats/Nordstrands. I love them both.

The original pups are fine tone-wise, but like any J, are prone to 60 cycle hum if you unlucky enough to play in a venue with power issues, which is the only reason I replaced them.

And it was an absolute hoot at a gig some time ago when another player said to me as I was packing up "sounds great, you can't beat the old ones for tone, when was yours made?".

We both had a good laugh when I said "2009" :)

Mike
  14. fourtet102

fourtet102 Supporting Member

RW are best Fender basses (besides Custom Shop). They look cool, play even better and sound like million dollar instrument. I'd change maybe pickups but stock ones definitely suffice.