1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Roscoe Beck VS Nordstrand Dual Coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Howdy friends,

To those who have experience with these two different pickups, could you compare and contrast them? I have a pair of Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups that are wired series/parallel/single coil. Dynamic would be an understatement. Thanks!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What's your plan? I have Nordy dual coils in my LeCompte, and I have a Roscoe Beck V. Since the LeCompte has an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, I don't think I can compare the sound of the pickups directly. The Nordies sound "thicker," with more "oomph" than the RBV pickups, but I'm pretty sure that's an artifact of the preamp. There's not much I can't get tone-wise out the the Nordy/OBP-3 combo.

3. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Can't speak to the Nordys. But the RBV I have simply sounds "passive". To me that's a good thing. Tonal options for days and not a battery in sight. But if you are looking for more of a hi-fi tone, you will have to get it from your amp because the pickups by themselves don't live there naturally. I'm sure they both sound great. Wish I could help more.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

My Nordie dual coils are run through an Aguilar OBP-3 as well. Its been many years since I have been able to play an RB bass. I was curious to see if anyone noticed any considerable tonal differences between the Nordstrand dual coils the the RB pickups.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say they're different. Did I say the Nordies sound "thicker"? I don't know exactly what that means, but that's the feeling that I'm getting sitting here at the console.