1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Rumble 350 combo - not suitable for rehearsal

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by glenb73, Mar 26, 2011.

1. glenb73

glenb73

So I picked up one of these Fender Rumble 350watt 2x10 combos for $399 brand new from GC. It sounded great and loud when practicing alone but as soon as I brought it to the rehearsal and the drummer started playing and the guitarist fired up his tube amp, but bass sound was all but gone from the mix. I had to turn my volume all the way up to max and then I could barely hear myself.
    Now, I'm going back to the head/cab route , and keeping this is as an (expensive) practice amp for home.
    Just figured I'd share my 2 cents in case anyone else was thinking of using a 350watt 2x10 combo for rehearsals/gigs. For me, it just didn't work out.
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I don't think the wattage is the problem - it's trying to make a mere 2 tens get the job done in that situation... I've played in plenty of loud rock bands with 300 watts or even less, and still been OK - but NOT with only a 210...

- georgestrings
  3. waleross

waleross

That is the problem with scaling down a rig, it just doesn't do the job. I love the larger Fender Pro series heads and cabs. I use the Tb1200 and a 215Pro cab as well as the larger 810Pro. I am sure a lot of other members will offer their solutions but it does cost more to get something that is really felt and heard, no matther what the brand is....Good Luck......................:cool:.
  4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Your band must be playing pretty loud. I play a Fender Rumble 150 with a 15 inch at a church regularly, and have no trouble being heard over the drums. We are loud for a church band, and the drummer does not use a plastic shield and isn't mic'd. I've never had to go past 60% on the volume...and I had to turn it down when I went that high. Usually I'm at less than 50% volume. I do use the DI out though, since we play in a large room.

What kind of music are you playing?
  5. glenb73

glenb73

It's rock music, but when we practice we are sorta condensed and on top of each other because the room is rather small. I think that may be a factor but I"m not entirely sure. I'd imagine playing in a large room like you are may put a different spin on it.
  6. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Doesn't make sense, unless you guys are massively loud in a huge room. I just got back from a garage jam with drummer and two guitars and I only used a 1x12 with no problem and volume to spare. 2 tens should be fine for rock practice.
  7. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Also worth having a look at your EQ -- possibly boosting mids in the rehearsal setting will help, as will tilting the combo back or elevating it.
  8. Blankandson

Blankandson

Agree on something's not right. I'm in a band at a church a with large room, 20 foot ceiling, about 100 X 150 feet. We have elec. drums, congas / bongos, baby grand, kurtzwiel, roland, elec. guitar going into all tube 6X10 cab, accoustic guitar going into Fender MM, three trumpets, one sax, and one trombone. All three of us bassist use the same GK with 350 watts into 2 X 10s. We rock the place with volumn set on 4. EQ is almost flat with no filters or stomp boxes. Your new Fender should rock the place easily. Can you send it back and get a replacement?
  9. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

Fellow TBer Logicman69 uses a Fender Rumble 100 2x10 all the time in his band and never has a volume issue. It is an older one though. He said the newer ones don't compare to the older ones(he manages a music store). Maybe the single 15 version maybe better for you. Just for example, i recently got a Genz Benz shuttlemax 3.0 10T combo and that is 175 watts stand alone and 300 with an ext cab. I took it to rehearsal the day i got it to mess around with it and had no problem hearing myself against a full drum kit and a Mesa 1/2 stack. Yes we also play rock. I wouldn't recommend this live as i do bring a 2nd cab with me.
  10. ButtUglyJeff

ButtUglyJeff

I have been underwhelmed by this combo, every time I try it. I'm a fanboy and have been wanting to like this model for a long time. I'll go on the record in saying this might not be loud enough, especially in this configuration. I'd like the odds of the 150 combo holding up.

Better yet, I'd suggest scrapping this unit and find the older Fender Bassman 250 combo. I like the cones in this 2X10 better, plus you'll have the option of adding a second cabinet...
  11. darkside 88

darkside 88

My first 'big' amp was a Fender Rumble with a 15 inch, and honestly it sounded fine with a guitarist using a half stack and a drummer.
  12. rhopper

rhopper

I agree, these amps are really good if you can find a good one.
  13. glenb73

glenb73

Yup live and learn right...Im keeping the fender 350 and just gonna use it for practice or as a backup. Actually, I'll probably end up selling it on craigs list.
    I got the hartke LH500 head recently and using my friends SWR henry 8x8 cab instead.
  14. j_nition

j_nition

rumble 350 is one od the loudest combos i've ever heard. is the volume knob stuck down on your bass?
  15. PaddyMcBass

PaddyMcBass

I recently traded in my rumble 350, but not because of a volume issue. I just wasn't too fond of the tone I was getting. I know lots of people like this combo, it just wasn't for me. I also went back to an amp/cab. Just found it more versatile. ( also fell in love with the hartke hydrive 410)
  16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Placement of the amp anywhere other than back to a wall by any chance?

Dollars to donuts the room is working to subdue the bass somehow.

Or you guys are just insanely loud.
  17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost

My 2 cents...I tried the 350 rumble and ended up buying the acoustic b450 with 2-10s. I liked the option of adding a second cab and the Fender doesn't offer that, although it sounded great in the store. I think I'll probably get the acoustic 115 cab to sit under the 450 for larger rooms. So far the 450 has worked well in the last two clubs. You might give it a look.
  18. bills2north

bills2north

Fender rumble 150´s 15" speaker suits my Washburn ab25.. I´m too lazy to drag cabinets over gravel. :)
  19. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

+1.. I'd try this next.
  20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Your band must be really loud because I used to rehearse with a loud rock band and all I had was a Carvin PB100-115 combo and it worked fine.
    Now I’m rehearsing with a 3 piece rock band using a single Dr. Bass 1260 driven by a Behringer B4500H head and it CRANKS. No problem being heard at 4 on the volume knob.
    Do what Growler said and start boosting mids. Once you get louder, the “smile” on a graphic EQ should start turning more into a “frown” as you gradually cut lows and highs. Clarity is what you need. You’ll know when you find the sweet spot because the bass drum will now seem as one with your bass amp.