Fender S1 switch problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cutty, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Cutty

Cutty

My S1 switch on my P bass has become faulty,i want to wire the bass as standard P bass wiring,can someone explain how to do this,there are black yellow and white wires going to the switch from the pickup,thanks for your help.
  2. Cutty

Cutty

Iv'e sorted it now guys,thanks.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good call on ditching the S1. I will never understand why they used that switch on all those otherwise great basses.
  4. line6man

line6man

Why? As long as it works, you can just forget it's there if you don't use it. Other than concerns of reliability, I see absolutely no reason to complain that it's there.

That being said, parallel split coils are considered useless to most players. Though some people do like it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Way to ask and answer your own question ;)
  7. Cutty

Cutty

Trouble with this switch is that if it hasn't been used for some time and you try it out, it can stick in between and then you have no output,which is what happened to me,i have removed it and gone to standard P bass series wiring,if fender thought it was that good why did they get rid of it?IMO it's total waste of time.
  8. line6man

line6man

How have I answered my own question? Just because there is something largely useless on a bass doesn't mean there is any reason to complain that it's there, if it's not hurting anything.
    Kind of like complaining that your keyboard has useless patches in its memory bank. :hyper:
  9. line6man

line6man

From a manufacturing and marketing standpoint, it's best they get rid of it. It's one less thing to fail, one less part to pay for, and one less thing to give people a reason to complain about, if they don't like the parallel tone. :hyper:
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Again, here you are asking and answering your own questions ;) I'll edit your responses to show you...

Why? Other than concerns of reliability...parallel split coils are considered useless to most players.

How have I answered my own question? Just because there is something largely useless on a bass doesn't mean there is any reason to complain that it's there, if it's not hurting anything....From a manufacturing and marketing standpoint, it's best they get rid of it. It's one less thing to fail, one less part to pay for, and one less thing to give people a reason to complain about, if they don't like the parallel tone.
  11. Honkycat

Honkycat

I too..have the S-1 switching system which I am going to completely disengage.From inactive use..if it does accidently get pushed in..it's getting stuck..so it's got to go....Also thinking about popping in some Fralins instead of the stock Fender ones.
  12. warnergt

warnergt

The S-1 switch on my P Bass has been reliable since the day I
    bought the bass new in 2006. Perhaps there has been a bad
    S1 switch here and there but I haven't seen any trend and,
    consequently, I haven't seen any reason to get rid of it.

Personally, I think a bass is worth more when it is kept original.
    Ripping out the S1 circuitry would devalue it.
  13. Honkycat

Honkycat

I find the S-1 switch to be more of a pain in the butt than anything else..Ive hated the sound of it depressed.?...but if it works for you,thats cool..Horses for courses!!
  14. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

That's the main reason I'm leaving it alone. The s1 was short lived and fairly unpopular. It just wreaks of the kind if thing that makes collectors go crazy in 20 years. It doesn't bother me, but I don't like it in split mode either.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I agree...in 30 years ;)
  16. Cutty

Cutty

The bass was actually more prone to picking up external noise when the S1 switch was installed,and i did fully screen it with copper shielding, and checked the earthing wire under the bridge,since i removed the switch and put the bass to standard series wiring,it's noisless and as it should be IMO.