Fender saddles on a Squier bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Batmensch, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Batmensch

Batmensch

Will Fender threaded saddles fit the bridge on the Squier VM Jazz?

2. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

3. Batmensch

Batmensch

I would certainly hope so. I'd hate to have to ream out the holes on the bridge for the screws to fit. I'd rather not even get the saddles in the first place if that were true. Has anyone else actually done this?

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Don't bet on it. Replacing the entire bridge would be a good place to start making upgrades. Hipshot A style has adjustable bridges saddles.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bobster

Bobster

C.Linton,

I believe I heard the spacing on that bridge is 20mm instead of 19mm. If that's the case, I think it won't actually work.

I've got a MP Jaguar which I believe has the same bridge. I'll take a look at it when I get home.

Bob

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Making the holes for the screws larger really isn't difficult. I changed the saddles on my P to threaded saddles and the holes had to be reamed out. It took all of 5 minutes to make the 4 holes large enough for the new screws.

And if you do screw it up, GFS sells a similar bridge to the squier one for less than $20.

8. Batmensch

Batmensch

I don't want that, not looking to change to a high mass bridge, (I prefer the Fender bent plate bridge) I want just the threaded saddles for the purely aesthetic reason of getting the strings to line up with the pickup poles, nothing more. If I can't get those to fit, I won't bother.

9. Batmensch

Batmensch

What did you use, a drill bit?

10. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Unless you've got a lead on some cheap saddles, I would just buy the bridge, particularly given your situation. From what I've seen available, it's only about $5 more than the saddles by themselves.

11. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Yup. Just make sure to clamp the bridge down instead of holding it with your hand. If the bit catches, you wont have a hunk of metal ripping your hand apart;)

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

I am also considering that, if I can be sure it will be a simple drop-in replacement. I would like to get just the saddles, though. Basspartsresource has them for 16 bucks.

13. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I changed the saddles to threaded on my MIJ Squier, fwiw. Took a few minutes, used a screwdriver and a machinist's ruler.

wraub

14. Bobster

Bobster

Hi C.Linton

I fact-checked myself. The Modern Player high-mass, brass saddled, bridge is 20mm. But this is the same bridge used on the 60's CV Jazz bass, not the VM.

So, I'd think the VM will fit.

All the best,

Bob