Fender selling direct

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David A. Davis, Oct 21, 2013.

1. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

2. bassmandallas

bassmandallas

Love old Fender basses, hate what Fender has become
  3. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Destroy the middle man! It's the American way!

There are a lot of small time shops that keep their lights on by selling Fender basses and guitars.
  4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    What's not to like about this?

"... starting in November, for the first time, customers will be able to order and buy Fender guitars directly from the company’s website. This would include “custom configurable” guitars, with product shipped directly to the consumer in two to three months."

That's all sounding really good to me!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Handyman

Handyman

Strange. Unless they set the online price to be significantly higher than dealer street prices (thus rendering the online ordering pointless), they're going to seriously anger their dealer network.

They're also going to have to adapt to a much more hands on customer service approach if they're selling straight to end users.
  7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I like the idea. Right now I think you can get Fender custom orders by going to their factory tour. This opens that up to people outside California.
  8. sanderic

sanderic

Peavey has been selling online direct to consumers for a few years now, but the local dealer is responsible for delivery and gets a percentage. I wonder if Fender would be taking this route.
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You hate that Fender has become a company that supplies a large variety of high quality products with great warranties at reasonable prices?
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

There is no way on earth that FMIC is going to alienate their dealer network with a move like this. Whatever the details are, they've been worked out with the dealers in advance.
  11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I don't know, I can imagine there are people willing to pay a premium to get options that aren't on the basses in their local stores. If they undercut their dealers that's another issue entirely.
  12. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Who says they won't still be selling them?
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is still no substitute for going into a store and trying out basses. However, the way FMIC got burned by GC, who can blame them for wanting to do more direct sales? It affects my opinion of Fender's business model in zero ways.
  14. Handyman

Handyman

Ya, if a single vendor owed me $11,000,000, I might start thinking about other ways to get my product to the consumer, too.

I'm very interested in finding out the details of this buy-direct-from-Fender arrangement.
  15. Itzayana

Itzayana

It works for Carvin.
  16. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Carvin?
    EBMM?

"Game changer in the music industry"...........not.

Personally I would buy from Fender direct. Some of the condition and setup of Fender basses/guitars I have seen my local GC/Sam Ash is shameful. At least you would have a Fender tech setup and condition would be cherry.
  17. Babaghanoush

Babaghanoush

As part of a warranty replacement I got to experience a fender tech setup (twice in fact) It was far from cherry.
  18. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Weeellllll I don't know if it's that simple anymore. Remember the business model of manufacturer dealer is decades old. Were in a new world now.
    I truly believe from every day experience, that like most everything nowadays, people are split down the middle in their view/approach. The internet has become the "Home Shopping Network" for millions who are not close to retail outlets.
    This is me. While there are times and items I'm willing to kill half a day and $10 worth of gas for, usually I'm tickled to go online and have most everything delivered to my door in two days
    I listen with amusement to friends who groan about how they had to have this or that, had to run, take it back, run again and all the hassle, etc. I ask them why didn't you just order it online and they just glaze over. Tilt. They're entrenched in their habits.
    There are those who have to have it today, have to feel it in their hands, and people who just love the drama of running and getting, it's their recreation or relief. For those who live close to retail outlets, it's no contest.
    While it's true that big corps are looking out for their own behind first, I don't see retail going away. The fittest will survive, that's just the world we live in. While lots of Mom and Pops have died,and we miss them, so did carriage makers blacksmiths and roll-out awning companies. All things must pass. It's the world we live in and no one is "owed" a ticket by anyone.
  19. tranceFusion

tranceFusion

Every dealer I've ever dealt with has been Guitar Center or a local place full of teenage kids who try to upsell you by going through a snob routine about whatever it is you happen to bring up to the counter.
  20. WalterBush

WalterBush

Can't speak for every dealer on the planet, but they didn't call MY store. We were informed by email.

You're right, though, Fender treats its dealers well and I don't see that changing. My suspicion is that prices will be a bit higher, offering products that don't compete with their retail stores directly.

I'm totally cool with that. As much as I wish it would happen, absolutely none of my customers walk in and, say, ask if I have a '57 Strat body with a '62 Tele neck. I'm betting that's the sort of thing they're looking to provide direct.
  21. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If Fender decides to sell them using their MSRP price and not the music store street price then they wont be selling many basses