1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender serial number search

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'm looking for a site that has a search for serial numbers. I hate to start this thread because I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything.

I just picked up a new MIJ Fender P-bass from Taylor's Guitar Shop in Memphis. A guy who owns a studio in Nashville brought it in on consignment, so I'm sure it's been played on a lot of records. It's a great sounding bass, not very heavy and the neck is incredible. I went out today looking for a sunburt P-bass and this was the first shop I went into and there it was staring me down. If "the funk is in the gunk", this thing def. has the funk. :p

So does anyone have a link where I can search to see what year this bass is?

Thanks so much!
  2. jonly

jonly

watever zink says. :)
  3. zink182

zink182

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Thanks guys!

Looks like I've got somewhere between an '84-'87 P-bass. I paid a little over $600 for it, was that a good price? It's got pretty bad belt buckle rash on the back and I noticed a few dings here and there that had been touched up but other than that it's in good shape and man does this thing play like a dream.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow. I would really like to find out what studio it was used at, so if any of you guys from Nashville might know please fill me in.
  6. MF_Maher

MF_Maher Supporting Member

I didn't find a useful link in the second site suggested. On this Fender site, the Mexi S/N dating stops in maybe 2005-2006.

I just bought a really nice MIM Deluxe Jazz today and the S/N begins with MZ8 and is followed by six numbers. I'm guessing then that this was made sometime in 2008-2009?

Thanks.
  7. ianbannister

ianbannister