Fender Sidekick Bass 65 POT NUTS ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DECOSTAJ, Aug 26, 2013.

1. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

Need some help finding the correct size pot nuts for a Fender Sidekick Bass 65.

I measured them 17/64" ..... is it 7mm ?

I bought a bag of assorted pot nuts off the bay hoping some would fit ..... but no luck!
    Other sources are labeling some nuts as for "mini pot nuts" but give no size.

Also need a source for the knobs.

any help would be great.

Jim D.
  2. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

I'm unsure if the pots are bad or the lack of a nut on the pots are causing the me the troubles. They are Alps PCB pots soldered to a PC Board.

Thoughts are to replace the original pots with some 16mm Alpha pots, solder lug with jumper wires. Hopefully this will lessen the vibration, taking some of the stress off the PCB.

For the price of the M7X0.75 nuts I can buy the whole set of new (cheep) pots for the Fender Sidekick Bass 65.

Will see if the Nuts fit the old pots, if the nuts solve the problem, possibly I don't need to swap out the pots.

I do need some help though.
    The Alpha pot has a code 100kCX2
    ? would this be> 100ohm , C= reverse taper , X2= dual gang ?

A= audio taper or forward
    B = linear taper
    C= reverse taper
    ???

JimD.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

not 100 Ω,

100K Ω, reverse audio taper, dual gang

That is a hard to find pot and I don't know who carries it. As you said, you can get an equivalent part and wire it in.

Perhaps a technical person at Fender can confirm if it is available through them. Otherwise I'd check antique electronics, mouser, newark, and digikey. It might be worth contacting this place.
  4. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

I'm not sure if this one (link below) is audio taper though. I don't really know enough about reading the codes to decipher correctly.

Found this at Pedal Parts Plus >
    http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/m...e=PPP&Product_Code=7700&Category_Code=POT16DG

it's a 100k reverse taper dual gang pot I believe Alpha.

Thanks for the double check !

I bought the schematic for this amp and have it "somewhere!!!" I will find it before replacing anything.
    I just read the codes off the potentiometers and ordered buck or so each ..... Plus the 16mm pot nuts I've been looking for.

Figures the one pot I KNOW needs replacing is the one that's hard to get. I hope that link is the correct replacement for 100KCX2

JimD.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

It looks right since they normally use audio taper for dual gang in pedals. I'd check with them just to be sure.

Sometimes pots have a ground connection soldered onto the pot case. IF the nut is not tight that holds the pot in place, the ground connection is lost or flakey. If this is how it is done on your amp, this could be the source of your problem. It is also possible that the pot simply needs cleaning with a product such as deoxit. It would save replacing the pot.
  6. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

Now I'm really glad I posted ..... Good lookin out.
    I never even thought of something like that causing issues. Had a similar problem with my old Sansui AU9900 receiver... Bad Ground through a board mounting screw that I missed, til someone in Australia figured it out.

All the pots have been cleaned.
    More likely Your correct about the grounding issue. Ill check for bad solder on the pot legs to PCB and re-flow if they look sketchy and scuff up the chassis to pot contact area ....as there is no evidence of any other ground from that pot to PBC or Chassis.

Have to buy a new copy of the schematic. Wasted too much time looking for the old one UGH !
    Also will contact Pedals & Parts to info on Pot.100KCX2

JimD.
  7. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

I d-soldered the pot from the PCB and opened it up. There was a hairline crack between the "rivet eyelet" and the wiper tract. A bit of foil stuck in there (for a temporary fix) and it works !

No word yet from the source for the replacement 100KCX2 pot.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

A bit of ingenuity pays off. :p

I think that it would be best to replace it though. You just know that it'll break again at an inopportune time.
  9. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

You are 100% right,

The foil is just temporary.
    If I can't get the correct part soon (there on there way)
    I'll try some conductive paint. after epoxying the hairline crack. then scope it to see how bad it "throws off" the specs.
    If that's a no go I'll snag a board off ebay and hope the pot I need is good.
  10. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

I just received and email from the source for the 100KCX2 pot

it's Audio Taper
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

12. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I've dealt with pedalpartsplus in the past. Good place to deal with and the price is right.
  14. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

That's good to hear. I was a bit worried because it WAS so cheep.
    I do hope it is the correct part. It looks like it is.

I was surprised how good that little amp sounds. I'm trying my first set of Flat Wound Strings and the tone from the preamp is great.
    The cabinet seemed to have a huge hump in the mid-bass (cabinet too small ?) so I've lined the cab with some quilting batting... it smoothed the response or reflections (big difference).
    Being that the !00KCX2 pot is the "frequency" pot (temporarily fixed) I can shift that hump around to a more desirable band.

Any idea if "Live Sound" cabinets benefit from damping the driver basket with duct seal ?
    I know this helps the basket from "ringing" on my single driver, full-range, home stereo speakers,
    or might this "Kill the Magic" (Myth?) on live sound Bass Cabs. My thoughts... any reflections, vibrations ect. = distortion, Maybe good for Guitar (but for me) not good on Bass, unless I want it there.

JimD.
  15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I've never tried duct seal putty on speaker baskets. I don't know about the idea of making the basket more aerodynamic. It is more of an audiophile thing. Musical instrument speakers are normally used as they were designed.

What you normally find in MI speaker cabs:

Bass frequencies can exert a lot of pressure inside a cabinet and this can cause rattles and buzzing. Speakers are intended to be used with some sort of seal to prevent buzzing. The gasket is usually made of paper, cork, closed cell foam, or some other type of material. You don't want to over torque the mounting nuts or screws as you can warp the basket.

To help with wave reflections that can cause muddiness, closed cabinets are often filled with damping material; ported cabinet walls are lined with damping material.
  16. DECOSTAJ

DECOSTAJ

OK
    I was unsure about the damping on the driver basket.
    Have lined the cabinet with 1 1/2" of quilters batting and it sounds better.

I have repaired the 100KCX2 pot ! I used some CA (crazy glue) and soaked the crack in the pot board. I then used conductive paint to repair the trace to the wiper tract.
    Many thanks to Arron at the Studio for the use of of the paint. So all the original pots are now working. When I got the Amp there were only 2 pot nuts holding the preamp board in. 4 unsecured pots swinging in the breeze !

Now to buy some new knobs, replace the power cord (someone chopped off the ground pin on the plug), and a new set of casters.

Many Thanks !

JimD.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

It's always good when you can figure out how to fix your own gear. :p