fender squier 5 string percision bass Pickups question???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by terrelli721, Dec 11, 2007.

1. terrelli721

terrelli721

Hello everyone. I have a question. I got a fender squier 5 string percision bass on ebay which was sold to me as a 20th anniversary edition. I was planning on modifying it with some bartolini pickups and a leo quan V bridge. The action on the bass is great and I think it will be an awesome sounding bass after the mods. The problem is, I called Bartolini and gave them the size and width of the pickups currently on the bass and was told that they are the 4 string pickups. Tom told me that he didn't have the short version of the pickups for a five string bass. I was curious if anyone else has had this problem and came up with a solution. I really like bartolini pickups, but would be willing to try out some others as well. Tom also stated that a luthier would have to do a lot of work to get the bass the way I wanted it. Any help will be appreciated.

2. terrelli721

terrelli721

3. terrelli721

terrelli721

4. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Player/Builder/Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    can you post an image and also provide accurate dimensions?

in all my experience with P5 pickups they fit into the same route as a P4 set

all the best,

R

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. terrelli721

terrelli721

I don't have a cam for a pic, but the pickups length are 3 9/16 or 3 10/16, the width comes in at 3/4 inch. The bass has 3/4 inch or 19mm string spacing, and when I talked with Tom at Bartolini he said that they were 4 string pickups. Thanks, hope this helps some.

7. rodl2005

rodl2005

I think the 4 string p-ups would probly be fine. I think they have bar magnets in 'em so no pole pieces anyway. AFAIK.

8. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Bartolini list each half of the P bass pickup as: 1.08 in X 2.20 in (28 mm X 56 mm

Are you measuring both of them together? Or are these really non standard size P pickups?

Are you talking about a Jazz Bass? I don't even see a Squire 5 string P bass listed on their site.

9. coolrunner989

coolrunner989 Supporting Member

the squire "P-bass" has jazz style pups - straight line, not like a standard split p-pickup.
    why the H*** they call it a Pbass I dont know...

10. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oh.. is it a P bass body?

Well then.... the original poster wants Jazz pickups.

11. Troutdog

Troutdog

I recently modded my Squier 5-string P with a new custom tort pickguard and Seymour Duncan QP jazz 5 pickups. They were also wider than the 4-string stock pickups so I got a rotary Dremmel tool and chisel and widened the two pickup cavities myself and dropped them in.

The pickguard was custom-ordered so I had it specially made to fit the dimensions of the SD neck pickup. Since the pickguard hides where I manually widened the neck pickup cavity, it looks professional and fits perfectly.

The bridge pickup looks good from a distance, but upon close inspection you can see where I didn't perfectly widen the cavity all nice and straight, but the pickup fits in there and it plays loud and clear like it should. I don't care that much about looks, however, because its a bass I bought for about $200 some 5 years ago and I was more interested in improving the sound quality, which I have done tremendously.

I also upgraded the pots and copper shielded the cavities while I was at it. Now it sounds great and doesn't buzz at all. Its a hell of a bass, really, and I'm quite pleased with the results.

I would show you pics but I don't have a camera.

12. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    you can get any size pickup template at Best Bass Gear for any size pickups on the market to re-rout your bass.

I had the same problem, but with the Squier Active Jazz V. It came with 5 string pickups, but they were an odd size.

Did a quick layout, & a quick re-rout, & now it's got a fresh set of Nordstrand Big Singles.

( don't hack your bass with a dremmel,, use the proper tool for the job ) :smug:

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

How did that work out for you? How's the sound? Did you replace the pre as well, or bypass it, or what? And remember- no pics, no bass! ;)

14. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    it sounds great,, i replaced the active unit with 250k CTS pots & orange drop cap, VVT, shielded all the cavities, star grounded everything, & totally loved the outcome.

i may be able to post some pics later :)

15. terrelli721

terrelli721

thanks for all the info. I was hoping to add bartolini soapbars, and was wondering if anyone know the make and model I should use. I don't have a preference from a sound perspective, Thanks.