1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

fender squier 5 string percision bass Pickups question???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by terrelli721, Dec 11, 2007.

1. terrelli721

terrelli721

Hello everyone. I have a question. I got a fender squier 5 string percision bass on ebay which was sold to me as a 20th anniversary edition. I was planning on modifying it with some bartolini pickups and a leo quan V bridge. The action on the bass is great and I think it will be an awesome sounding bass after the mods. The problem is, I called Bartolini and gave them the size and width of the pickups currently on the bass and was told that they are the 4 string pickups. Tom told me that he didn't have the short version of the pickups for a five string bass. I was curious if anyone else has had this problem and came up with a solution. I really like bartolini pickups, but would be willing to try out some others as well. Tom also stated that a luthier would have to do a lot of work to get the bass the way I wanted it. Any help will be appreciated.
  2. terrelli721

terrelli721

3. terrelli721

terrelli721

anyone out there???
  4. Rodent

Rodent

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    can you post an image and also provide accurate dimensions?

in all my experience with P5 pickups they fit into the same route as a P4 set

all the best,

R
  5. terrelli721

terrelli721

I don't have a cam for a pic, but the pickups length are 3 9/16 or 3 10/16, the width comes in at 3/4 inch. The bass has 3/4 inch or 19mm string spacing, and when I talked with Tom at Bartolini he said that they were 4 string pickups. Thanks, hope this helps some.
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

I think the 4 string p-ups would probly be fine. I think they have bar magnets in 'em so no pole pieces anyway. AFAIK.
  7. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon

Disclosures:
    Owner/designer; SGD Lutherie
    Bartolini list each half of the P bass pickup as: 1.08 in X 2.20 in (28 mm X 56 mm

Are you measuring both of them together? Or are these really non standard size P pickups?

Are you talking about a Jazz Bass? I don't even see a Squire 5 string P bass listed on their site.
  8. coolrunner989

coolrunner989 Supporting Member

the squire "P-bass" has jazz style pups - straight line, not like a standard split p-pickup.
    why the H*** they call it a Pbass I dont know...
  9. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon

Disclosures:
    Owner/designer; SGD Lutherie
    Oh.. is it a P bass body?

Well then.... the original poster wants Jazz pickups.
  10. Troutdog

Troutdog

I recently modded my Squier 5-string P with a new custom tort pickguard and Seymour Duncan QP jazz 5 pickups. They were also wider than the 4-string stock pickups so I got a rotary Dremmel tool and chisel and widened the two pickup cavities myself and dropped them in.

The pickguard was custom-ordered so I had it specially made to fit the dimensions of the SD neck pickup. Since the pickguard hides where I manually widened the neck pickup cavity, it looks professional and fits perfectly.

The bridge pickup looks good from a distance, but upon close inspection you can see where I didn't perfectly widen the cavity all nice and straight, but the pickup fits in there and it plays loud and clear like it should. I don't care that much about looks, however, because its a bass I bought for about $200 some 5 years ago and I was more interested in improving the sound quality, which I have done tremendously.

I also upgraded the pots and copper shielded the cavities while I was at it. Now it sounds great and doesn't buzz at all. Its a hell of a bass, really, and I'm quite pleased with the results.

I would show you pics but I don't have a camera.
  11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

you can get any size pickup template at Best Bass Gear for any size pickups on the market to re-rout your bass.

I had the same problem, but with the Squier Active Jazz V. It came with 5 string pickups, but they were an odd size.

Did a quick layout, & a quick re-rout, & now it's got a fresh set of Nordstrand Big Singles.

( don't hack your bass with a dremmel,, use the proper tool for the job ) :smug:
  12. Bassic83

Bassic83

How did that work out for you? How's the sound? Did you replace the pre as well, or bypass it, or what? And remember- no pics, no bass! ;)
  13. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

it sounds great,, i replaced the active unit with 250k CTS pots & orange drop cap, VVT, shielded all the cavities, star grounded everything, & totally loved the outcome.

i may be able to post some pics later :)
  14. terrelli721

terrelli721

thanks for all the info. I was hoping to add bartolini soapbars, and was wondering if anyone know the make and model I should use. I don't have a preference from a sound perspective, Thanks.