Fender Squier Jazz Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cwz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. cwz

cwz

Anybody know why the Squier Jazz Standard bass was discontinued? What's an average used price?
  2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. in essence, they morphed into the Vintage Modified series and probably became a bit too redundant to continue producing at that price point ... tough to say avg price, because you will see them sell from <$100 to >$200+, just a matter of how much you like it and how aware you are of what else is out there ... they can also be quite heavy, I have had them from high 7#'s all the way up to over 10#'s ...
  3. cwz

cwz

Aha. Thanks!
  4. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

The Standard Jazz (disco'd) in Walnut Satin finish was a real looker. IIRC, it was basswood or Agathis for the body, but no matter. There is one of those on Flea-Bay, refurbished, for $289, BIN. That's a bit steep, given that they they weren't 289 new, fer cry-pete!
  5. cwz

cwz

I checked evil-bay for sold ones and the prices are all over the place. With all the different models it's kinda difficult to figure out.
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. interestingly enough, the Walnut Satin and the 3TSB were always the heaviest when it came to Squier Standard J's ... I had well over a dozen of them, and found them all to be very consistent, but some of them really felt like boat anchors ... I prefered more of the early years, they did not have the channel routing to the control cavity, just enlarged routes for the neck pup .. also in the tail end of the run, they switched to the 'flat bottom' tuning machines rather than the rounded bottom open machines found like on the Hwy Series, AmSpec, and MIM Standards ... the only other thing about them that may be a negative for some, is that the bridge pup routing is the same as the neck pup, like the pre '01 MIM Standards ... FWIW, about the average price that I was buying them for was around $140-150 ... that was mostly 2-3 years ago, and like I said, the older the better for me ...
  7. cwz

cwz

Looks like they've held their value pretty well. I built a parts bass around a Squier neck and have fallen in love with it so I guess I'll go for it.