Fender Squier Jazz VM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fourstringsonly, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

So I finally got my hands on one in Sam Ash that had an action that didn`t make me wanna vomit. I have to say,,it sounds quite good for $299.99. I played it through a small GK MB112,which sounds quite good I thought. One thing I found odd about the bass. I was playing with both Volumes wide open,and everything was fine. I rolled back the volume about 1/4 way or so,and I was getting a hum. I would think I may get some hum from the single coils wide open,,but why when I roll it back? Is this a common issue with this bass,any ideas?
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If the noise goes away when you touch metal/strings/bridge you have a shielding issue.

If the noise gets louder when you touch metal/strings/bridge you have a grounding issue.

Probably just a shielding issue. Nothing major or to be alarmed about but something many basses suffer from. Many folks don't consider it an issue, I personally do. Many folks also think you cannot remove it, you can. Just look up a guide on TB.
  3. mogpipe

mogpipe

Mines great. I love this bass. I got the natural, maple fretboard, black blocks one. It rules. Great tone, feel, looks.
  4. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

What do you mean "look up a guide?"
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

7. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

8. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

It's a common thing with all Jazz basses with that control scheme. The hum only goes away when both volume controls are set at the same exact level. If one is set either higher or lower than the other, that's when the hum shows up.
    Is that what you're doing, setting the volume controls at different levels?
  9. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

I think that is generally referred to as the 60Hz hum (some one correct me if i am wrong). Perfectly normal. Add a bit (or a lot!) of dist/OD, dig in, and no one will notice. Some shielding may help with the hum too..

Good luck!
  10. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

I don`t recall,, I didn`t buy the bass..I was testing it out. I wanted the Burst color,,but they said it`s not available in stores any longer,but I could buy it from Sam Ash.com
  11. Bobster

Bobster

The effect of the bass humming when the two single-coil pickups are set to to different output levels is called "single-coil hum" It is normal and an inherent result of that design.

That's one reason "noiseless" or "humbucking" pickups were created. It is a standard Jazz bass "thing".

All the best,

Bob