Fender Squier Precision Bass Special MIJ neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soaf, Jan 16, 2014.

1. soaf

soaf

I bought a neck which is supposedly from an 80s P-bass Special from Japan. It has been refinished and all markings have been removed. The width at the nut is 1.5" like a Jazz. Did the P-bass Special actually have a jazz-like neck?

I am going to pair it with a relic'd PJ body but what was the electronics setup? From what I can tell, it was a PJ pickup configuration with v/v/t pots, and a jack at the bottom, not on the pickguard. Can anyone confirm all of this? Were they passive or active?

Thanks for your help.

2. schecter5string

schecter5string

To the best of my knowledge you are correct on all accounts.
    I have a fender P lyte 95 model very similar bass but active and no pick guard.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sounds right to me, I recall the Jazz neck being part of what made it a Special, not just this Squier but many/most FMIC P/J precisions have seemed to have Jazz-sized necks.

The active P/Js have four knobs and a jack on the bottom but the Squier in question was passive, wired vvt with a jack on the bottom. They stayed that way through many versions of Squier by Fender and Squier Standard series.

Just as a note the new Squier VM Precision PJ is not called a special and does not have a Jazz neck on it.

4. soaf

soaf

Ok - this is good info. I will find a body, stick.with passive electronics (v/v/t) and keep the jack out of the pickguard. I suppose I could just as easily use a regular P body and route out a cavity for the J pickup. This gives me more of used selection to shop from.

Does anyone know what years these basses were made in Japan?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

I think they were always called Jazz Bass Specials or Power Jazz Specials... P Bass Specials were a US/Mexican thing, I think - though someone with more Fender smarts might correct me on that. I think the Japanese 'Specials' were all without pickguards also - a la Duff McKagan type bass.

Was it loaded with original tuners when you bought it? an MIJ neck would typically have reverse wind tuners with the larger sized mounting plate, as opposed to an MIM or Squier series.

I love those Japanese Jazz necks, though - so comfortable. The profile is slightly different than the usual J neck.

7. soaf

soaf

It is definitely an 80s MIJ Precision Bass Special. I was able to secure the original pickguard. It is coming with the neck. The former owner used the body for another project. The pickguardless MIJs you speak of were the active models with four knobs.