1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Standard Jazz pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 5, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

My Squire DAJV (soon will be a VI) came with standard jazz pups, which according to Josh @ Fender CS, are basically the same pups used in MIM jazz basses. They are ceramic bar magnets, not Alnicos V's. I love how they growl with the help of the active electronics. Very Marcus Millerish. But not as beefy as MM.

Instead of wasting time & money trying out various jazz pups I decided to try equalize first, replace as a last resort. Eqing w/a MXR M 108 was very successful. I can gets lots of sounds besides a beefy growl. Using just the neck pup, I can get a fat deep sound close to a precision, & that's using Fatbeams! I love it.

I am getting greedy. The sound I am getting is good enough. I won't go out & buy expensive pickups in the near future. I do have pricey Carvin J99a's sitting around. I am thinking I might get more beef & depth using those Carvings w/ alnicos. One problem is that my low B is a .135 Hibeam instead of a .130 Fatbeam. That's because the Fatbeam is dull & thumpy, whereas the Hibeam gives piano-like overtones. However, the Hibeams' are a little weak below D. I'm thinking that the Alnicos might actually give more low extension down to B.

I don't want to loose the growl & I read that Carvings don't growl much. Any feedback, insight? I hear ceramic bar pickups aren't that good. But aren't Victor Wootens EMGs crramic.? I'm quite happy with my sound, but I already paid for those Carvins. Switching pups is messy for me

I even hear that the very cheap SX 2 Urtha Jazz basses have better pickups than the Squier VM jazz. That's hard to believe. I tried out a 5 string VM & it was impressive. According to a Seymour Duncan sales rep, those Korean made J105s are exactly the same design as the best Seymour Duncan's. I just ordered a 30" scale SX fretless for $125 out the door. We'll see.