Fender Standard P or Deluxe P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperK, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and looking for some input. I'm finally ditching my Squier Affinity P Bass and stepping up to a Fender P Bass. My budget won't allow an American Standard so I've narrowed it down to the MIM Standard P or the Deluxe P Bass J/P combo.

What are your thoughts on the two of them? I've played a P before so I know about it, but is the Deluxe worth the extra $120. Will it play like both a J and a P?

Also, maple or rosewood? Are there pros and cons between the two necks or is it strictly looks?

Thanks for your input. I love this forum!

2. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

You just can't go wrong with a P + J precision! It's the best of both worlds!

3. lorianb

lorianb

You won't get the tone of a jazz bass but it's a mighty interesting combo that is blended at will. That being said, I own both and the Pbass sees all the action. I can never get rid of the Deluxe though.

4. lorianb

lorianb

Oh and that maple neck. Silky smooth - a bit noisy at first but you get beyond that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Deluxe P. You get more versatility out of it, should the single split-coil ever prove to be insufficient. And I'd go maple. Has more tonal character. At least, it seems that way to me.