Fender Steve Harris bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedroims, Aug 2, 2011.

1. pedroims

pedroims

Where the new Fender Steve Harris signature bass is made in? I am tempting to buy one of these, love the color. Any experience with the quality, I am talking about the 2010 version.
  2. KingRazor

KingRazor

Pretty sure it's made in Japan?
  3. SpitfireCWII

SpitfireCWII

I think its Made In Japan if I am not mistaken. The quality of MIJ basses is near or on par with MIA quality fenders.

I havent had a chance to play one personally, but my cousin is a huge iron maiden fan
    and he says that the signature p bass is unreal. I would get it :D
  4. pedroims

pedroims

thanks, the price make sense then considering the finish, the review from Friedland made me gas for it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low End Lover

Low End Lover

I got a chance to play one for a few minutes at a music store recently. It looked and felt good—especially if you like a big ol' chunky neck. Nice tone as well. A solid entry from Fender IMO.

LEL
  7. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

If you like the bass, then by all means, buy it. Don't worry about all the details.

I hope it is because you played it first and like the feel and tone, not because of the artists name on it. ( no offense to Steve Harris intended, he is long been one of my favorites!) I understand the stigma towards foreign made basses and I believe this one is Asian made, but fact is many of these foreign manufactured basses are good quality.

IMHO as an musician, An instrument should become a part of you and something that you should keep forever, not bought for an investment. In that regard, any bass or basses you buy are priceless. wouldn't you say?

I know my 2 old Fender's I scrimped and save to buy are! I'm the original owner of these and they will be buried or cremated with me when I go!

Just something to think about...
  8. pedroims

pedroims

Agreed, unfortunally I cant play the bass first, Its a P so should be pretty straight forward other than the neck feel. I already have green light from my wife :D but will have the money till end of the month, enough time to think about it.
  9. erigod23

erigod23

If I had the wife's green light and the money, I'd get it now before she changes her mind or something breaks in the house.
    devntran likes this.
  10. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

I played one, definitely a chunky neck, and the one I played was very slow as far as neck speed goes. It was super-glossy.
  11. truckermde

truckermde

I have one, and think it is awesome. Definitely a big neck. The only thing I didn't like about it was the HUGE strings, but thats a matter of opinion, and an easily changed one at that! It's a '57 reissue neck, one piece maple, which is thick, and has the original 1.75inch nut. Nice and glossy with that sweet vintage tint.
  12. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

About a year ago, I was having fun in a local Sam Ash. I was there about an hour or two, and must have played 30 different basses, all brands and prices.

Not knowing what model it was, I grabbed this cool looking blue Precision. It was immediate and profound, my love for this bass. It felt like a monolith in my hands. No parts, just one cohesive, massive boom device. The huge flatwounds were a revelation for me.

Everything about this bass spoke to me. The only other time I've had a similar experience was when I first picked up a used Alembic Epic in my local shop. I own that Epic. If I'd had the funds, I'd have left with that bass.

I couldn't stop thinking about that particular bass, and when I could swing the purchase about 4 months later, it was gone.

I have since quenched my desire with an 87 E series Japanese P bass special, (it was a gift), but the Steve Harris sig is always lingering in the recesses of my brain's shopping cart.
  13. Tmw2011

Tmw2011 Supporting Member

I'm a huge Harris fan (he's the one that inspired me to start playing bass some 25 odd years ago) and both versions of the sig have piqued my interest. I haven't found one in my area to try out yet, but the chunkiness of the neck kinda scares me off (I had a 86-87 LPB with RW fretboard that had a neck like a log that I just hated as my 2nd bass). While I like the royal blue metallic, I just feel wierd about the idea of playing what I consider to be a replica of such an iconic bass. But that being said, I'm really liking the look of the Ikebe 'modified' version of the SH Sig, which is just a color change and likely strung with rounds instead of flats. In fact, I think it comes out to around $100-150 less (after shipping) than buying a new SH sig.

[​IMG]
  14. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I am surprised that noone every notices that in the song Run to the Hills, (at least the video) that made Harris, the guitar is a hybrid and does not have a Fender neck?
  15. Tmw2011

Tmw2011 Supporting Member

He used an Ibanez Roadster in the Run to the Hills video. It's ok for people to have more than one bass.. :)

But I think it was the use of the blue with mirrored pickguard on the World Slavery Tour (85) and on that really cemented that bass' iconic status.
  16. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

I love the bass, but it's obviously not one that everybody loves. One of the trends right now is leightweight basses with slim necks. This one is the exact opposite. It's heavy and has a thick neck. It's a very versatile instrument and sounds just awesome in many genres.

(Some point out that a bass at this high price should come with a hardcase and not just a gigbag. I agree. But it should also come with a monitor to put your left leg on... Plus a pair of horrible spandex trousers to complete the mid '80s look)
  17. MetsMan75

MetsMan75 Supporting Member

Made in Japan...Great Bass!!! Just got mine today....heavy but its a work of art...nice '70s style neck...fullerton era deep contours and amazing P Bass tone....you don't have to be a maiden freak to LOve this Bass!!!
  18. tescott

tescott

Played this bass in store. Massive neck, with awesome, massive P-bass tone. Unfortunately, I hate big necks. If you like them, however, its the bass for you. Oh, and also if you like a gloss neck finish.
  19. ookiedukes

ookiedukes Supporting Member

I just purchased a Steve harris P neck for my MIM jazz bass. It feels and sounds fantastic. I am a fan of 70's P bass necks, and this one fits the bill. MIJ, big and chunky.If you should be fortunate to find one on TB like I did buy it, the neck is Great!
  20. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Me too! I have the bass and I love every single part of it. Heavy, chunky and massive tones. A versatile bass. The blue sparkle colour is not for everybody and maybe Fender would consider making this bass in white as well. (or flat black)
  21. Wallace320

Wallace320

I already own a Fender parts Steve Harris West Ham Precision,
    it's just that I threw my touches in it to make it more my own:
    - selected alder body (much lighter);
    - american deluxe bird's eye maple neck with flamed maple 21 fret fingerboard and 1,65" nut (thicker than Standard, thinner than Vintage);
    - Seymour Duncan Antiquity splitcoil (more classy than SPB1 and Steve Harris' signature);
    - rounds (instead of flats);
    - Gotoh Vintage open gear tuners (lighter and tighter than Fender's stamped ones)...

Leo Quann's BadAssII himass bridge, olympic white finish and hand painted West Ham United crest and stripes stay the same... yet I opted for a nitro finish over a poly higloss one.

But the reason why I quoted your post is because my all time favorite Fender bass would be a Jazz bass with dual splicoils and a chunky higloss Precision neck on it

Cheers,
    Wallace