1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Sting bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wattsman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. wattsman

wattsman

Hi guys,
    I just got a sting signature and tried to install chromes, but they are too short. The blue nylon ends up sitting int he nut. Im using long scale 45-100.

is anyone using chromes in this model? Anyone using any other flat wounds?

Thanks

2. Bassology

Bassology

Unfortunately, long scale D'addario strings are not designed for body through nor 35" bass. You will need super long scale. For the same price range, I would recommend Fender 9050's, they age well, I have had the same set of strings on and off my P bass for the last 10 years.

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

When I had this Sting P Bass signature, I experienced just the same as you, OP, instead I was using LaBella Jamerson... Nylon sting wrapper were sit on the nut...but for years, Nothing bad happen to me/my bass. No problem except visual.

4. wattsman

wattsman

Has any one tried rotosound?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You need extra long Strings... At least a 38" winding.

7. fjadams

fjadams

8. SteveV74

SteveV74

Sting ( like myself ) is a DR player, pretty sure he uses Hi-beams or Lo-riders, try one of those,.....Ive tried MANY different strings over the years...both of my favorite bassists,Sting and Peter Steele played DRs so I tried them and NEVER looked back, they make a string for every bass
    And yes I know Sting and Peter Steele are on either side of the spectrum,lol

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Sting uses DR Sunbeams based on interviews and old DR ads. I've had Sunbeams, Lakland stainless (made by GHS, probably the same as their Super Steels), a set of TI flats, and for about nine years, a set of GHS Precision Flats. I think I may have had to shave some silk on the TIs to get them to sit in the nut properly.

More recently D'Addario apparently changed their standard long-scale winding so they will fit through-body instruments. But what you get from a store depends on how long the strings have been in the supply chain.

John

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the Sting two saddle bridge?

11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/005-8396-000.jpg

.. I changed to one like this on one of the Sting's I had, I think it came off of a post '02 American Series Jazz ... memory is not what it should be though .. ;)

.. the bridge is the pic is from an American Deluxe bass, about $40 at Bass Parts Resource, but if top loading and individual saddles for better intonation is your concern, and you don't want to go to a 'high mass' (me either) anything post '02 AmSeries will work ... 3 hole screw mount should fit

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very cool thanks and I'm starting to notice every part of my body ain't what it used to be :)