1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Sting bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wattsman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. wattsman

wattsman

Dec 29, 2013
    Texas
    Hi guys,
    I just got a sting signature and tried to install chromes, but they are too short. The blue nylon ends up sitting int he nut. Im using long scale 45-100.

is anyone using chromes in this model? Anyone using any other flat wounds?

Thanks

2. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Unfortunately, long scale D'addario strings are not designed for body through nor 35" bass. You will need super long scale. For the same price range, I would recommend Fender 9050's, they age well, I have had the same set of strings on and off my P bass for the last 10 years.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    When I had this Sting P Bass signature, I experienced just the same as you, OP, instead I was using LaBella Jamerson... Nylon sting wrapper were sit on the nut...but for years, Nothing bad happen to me/my bass. No problem except visual.

5. wattsman

wattsman

Dec 29, 2013
    Texas
    Has any one tried rotosound?

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You need extra long Strings... At least a 38" winding.

7. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Lincoln, NE
  8. SteveV74

SteveV74

Jul 24, 2012
    Newton,KS
    Sting ( like myself ) is a DR player, pretty sure he uses Hi-beams or Lo-riders, try one of those,.....Ive tried MANY different strings over the years...both of my favorite bassists,Sting and Peter Steele played DRs so I tried them and NEVER looked back, they make a string for every bass
    And yes I know Sting and Peter Steele are on either side of the spectrum,lol

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Sting uses DR Sunbeams based on interviews and old DR ads. I've had Sunbeams, Lakland stainless (made by GHS, probably the same as their Super Steels), a set of TI flats, and for about nine years, a set of GHS Precision Flats. I think I may have had to shave some silk on the TIs to get them to sit in the nut properly.

More recently D'Addario apparently changed their standard long-scale winding so they will fit through-body instruments. But what you get from a store depends on how long the strings have been in the supply chain.

John

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Can anyone recommend a replacement for the Sting two saddle bridge?

11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/images/large/005-8396-000.jpg

.. I changed to one like this on one of the Sting's I had, I think it came off of a post '02 American Series Jazz ... memory is not what it should be though .. ;)

.. the bridge is the pic is from an American Deluxe bass, about $40 at Bass Parts Resource, but if top loading and individual saddles for better intonation is your concern, and you don't want to go to a 'high mass' (me either) anything post '02 AmSeries will work ... 3 hole screw mount should fit

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very cool thanks and I'm starting to notice every part of my body ain't what it used to be :)