1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender Stu Hamm Urge question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darrellj, Feb 7, 2014.

1. darrellj

darrellj Livin' the dream, man, livin' the dream! Supporting Member

Hi all,
    I have a new-to-me Stu Hamm Urge. This is the MIA, medium scale model with 2 jazz and 1 p pickup. It has a myriad of controls etc.
    So, I'm hoping someone out there has one of these and can answer a question.
    My issue is that when the selector switch is on the P pickup it's loud. But when it's through the J pickups it's very quiet (panned front, back or both). If I turn off the pre-amp (one of the myriad controls), the P is quieter (as expected), but the J's are nearly non-existent.
    Is this typical, or should I be getting this looked at by an electronics oriented tech?

Thanks!

darrell
  2. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

Are the P pickups raised to high (or the J set too low)?

Also, the Jazz Plus line (similar electronics) had a mid range boost dial under the back panel - perhaps the Ps are boosted there?
  3. darrellj

Hi Twocanbassman,
    I did a set up on the bass, the pickups are all the same height. Also, it does have a mid-boost preset rotary control thingy inside, which is cranked to max.
    From what I can tell, the mid boost is bass-wide as opposed to being specific to any given pickup.

Here's all the info I've been able to find:
    http://www.brotherdave.com/schematics/stu_hamm_I_controls.pdf

There doesn't seem to be a manual or a schematic. I can find the schematic for the Urge II, but it's a different animal as far as controls go...
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

The J pick ups should be higher than the P pick up. At the same height, the J's will be quieter than the P.
  5. mag1guru

mag1guru

Just had this issue on my Fender PJ Special. Installed Active EMG PJ setup and the P PUs were nasty loud but when I isolated the J it was very quiet. Also over all sustain was bad and on the E sting past 12th fret sustain was real bad and notes wavering. Lowered the P PUs down considerably and J pickup up. Fixed my issues and tone is way better!

Hope this helps.
  6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

I had one of these and one thing I noticed that stood out for me was how well the pickups balanced against each other. Other than adjusting their heights I don't think there's any other way to even up the output.
  7. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

+1

This is what I did on mine as well. Just lower the P to taste after setting the J's.
  8. darrellj

Hi,
    Well here's the latest. Had it in to my tech. He metered the pickups. The P was 14.7, the J's were 7.something and 8.something.
    I remember reading somewhere that the factory P is super hot on this bass...

I lowered the P until it was almost buried in the body and the J's are still super quiet-er.

I think the solution is to go to a lower output P or higher output J's. Looked at the SD quarter pounders (sbj-3) to replace the J's. They are 13.9 and 14.6k which should be a better match...

It's only money, right?
  9. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Some of that comes from the Kubicki pre. Kubicki's are known for much less output in the passive mode. In general, P's are usually higher output then J's, period. Others here will argue, but my P-J bass pickup basses always have much more ooomph from the P then the J. Replacing the pickups will give you what you want, so no worries there.

Sometimes you just gotta make the bass what you want.