1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Super 55 Jazz pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by takeout, Apr 11, 2012.

1. takeout

takeout

Anyone taken these for a spin yet? Not a lot of chatter on these.

2. Domespeed

Domespeed

I ordered a pair and installed them in a Frankenstein Jazz.
    I like them a lot!
    The previous pickups were a pair of Nordstand nj4sv and so far, I prefer the sound of the Super 55s because they seem to have more growl to them.

What I also like is the fact that the bridge PU has got more windings, so it's really biting when soloed.

Unfortunately, the magnets are NOT staggered to match the fingerboard radius - the descriptions had me believe the opposite...

3. takeout

takeout

Style(s) of music? I'm looking for a hot vintage rock/punk-type thing.

4. Domespeed

Domespeed

The difference to a "normal" J-style single coil sound is only very small - much smaller than with the DiMarzio J or U e.g.

So I would say you could use the Super55 for any style of music - isn't that the nature of the J-Bass sound?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tele295

Tele295

I've had them in my '73 Jazz for a few weeks. These things sound great - very much like a vintage Jazz with added output and no hum. We played mine side-by-side with my friend's 76 Jazz Bass (he's on here somewhere - hi Mikey!), and the Super 55's really shined. Plus, they fit under the vintage pickup covers perfectly.

7. solitario

solitario

well it has been a long time since last post... anybody else have try this 55? will they work for rock ?¿

8. aproud1

aproud1 I don't feel tardy? Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Just ordered some for my AVRI Jazz I'll give a full report once I get them in... so far i've used the stock pickups, Lindy Fralins single coils and Bill Lawrence J45's in this bass.

9. ncapone

ncapone

I just put some in my bass yesterday! They're dead silent, but tonally not much different from my Custom Shop pickups that were in it before. I play a wide variety of styles, and they work well.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I've never heard of these have to check them out looking for a new set of pups

11. aproud1

Media:
    Sounds pretty good to me!

12. leroy diamond

leroy diamond

Would the super 55 be a good replacement for the noiseless pickups in my Fender Custom Classic CS jazz?

13. aproud1

Media:
    I would say yes. The super 55's are pretty solid noiseless pickups. I hooked on well shielded single coils but I'd go for a set of Super55's if I needed a humbucker.

14. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I just orders a pair for my recently acquired '92 'boner' J - from what I'm reading about these pu's I'm looking forward to hearing them. The orig pu's sound good but have a weak E output. I've had the Fralin split-coils in an active J for years now and love them, but this bass is passive (abet w/a TBX tone pot) Will weigh in later.

15. Vektori

Vektori

Has anyone tried the bridge pickup on a P/J bass?

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

Id like to know this as well. Im about to change the bridge pup (actually both pups) in my Squier VM PJ and have just come across these pups. Not a lot of real world info on them but what ive read seems very positive.
    I was going for a SD or Dimarzio Model J but these are hard to come by as singles over here in the UK.
    I think the Fender will be a good match for the 62RI ill be putting in at the neck.

Ill report back when i do the upgrade.

17. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

I revive this thread as I am interested to hear what the experiences are with these pickups.

18. Grissle

Grissle

I know that all I've heard is rave reviews for the 55's so far. Might swap my Fralins out for a set? The Fralins are too smooth and refined but the Fenders are supposed to retain a more raw woody single coil sound.

19. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I would say that's pretty accurate.

20. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Add me to the list of rave reviewers. I have three of them in my avatar bass, and I love 'em. They're clean, bright, full, and punchy, with all the low and mids I could want. I liked them enough to buy another set for a future build.

21. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Does anyone know if the 55's are the ones that are stock in the newer Squire vintage modified Jazzes? I own one, I sounds Amazing! but I don't know what pups are installed in there; I'm thinking it may be the Super 55 split coils...? Anyone?