Fender Super Bassman vs Bassman 100T

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by drunkenDAYlewis, Apr 6, 2014.

1. drunkenDAYlewis

drunkenDAYlewis

I have been admiring the Fender Super Bassman since I was biting ankles but I was wondering what people think of them these days.

I've played the Super Bassman a couple of times at the store and it sounds lovely (in my opinion) but I wonder how it compares to the 100 watt "little brother"

I figure the 200watt difference won't be a big deal as every venue seems to D.I.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is it worth saving $400ish

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

They both are great I hear but it comes down to having extra power and not needing it or needing extra power and not having it.

3. catgut

catgut

If it is only $400 savings and the weight is similar get the 300W. Use smaller cabs for smaller shows. If you do larger clubs with bad PA having 300W will come in handy. Having the extra headroom always comes in handy. Especially as those Fenders have an overdrive switch you don't need to blow the doors off to get a good grind. The 100W at that point, to me, just lost any benefit.

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    I found the 100 to run out of clean too quick. In my main band it couldn't hang with practice volume, but we are loud rock. I had a side project that was more tame, but I was in overdrive territory alot when everyone was playing. I dont have that problem with the 300. For a 300 watt amp it is light and manageable. If you play small quieter gigs or dont need much stage volume the 100 is great. I prefer the big brother.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drunkenDAYlewis

drunkenDAYlewis

7. Alexander

Alexander

I love my Super Bassman - everything the 100T had with more grunt. I love the clean headroom. And the tone is to die for!

8. Tim1

Tim1

I owned them both for a while,then sold the 100T since I was always going to the SB300, even for the quieter gigs.
    One point in favour of the 100T, though, is that the DI is post power amp while the SB300 DI is post preamp. Also the 100T is switchable to 25 watts - not a consideration for me, but it might be of use to some.

9. denton57

denton57

It's just a different tool for the job. What kind of gigs, style of music, cab pairing, are you miking the drums, etc.

In my situation, the 100T is plenty. I've done many a gig with a 100 watt tube head (100T, Anpeg V4B), and it has worked well. If I was playing big stages, I might go with the 300. I'm not. I have owned a couple 300 watt tube heads, and they were always overkill in my situation.

10. headband

headband Supporting Member

I have had several 100 watt tube amps and have always found that sooner or later I am at a show were it just ran out of gas. Smaller venues, no problem. A little larger, and I was always wishing for a little more power. They get kind of wooly when they are pushed hard. Now I have a 200+ watt head and it works everywhere I play.

11. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

I have a 100t. Works just fine for me, and I'll always have a solid state backup amp that can go into much louder territory if I ever need to.

12. hopturn

hopturn

i was leaning towards the 100T, but it was suggested that the 300 would be a better purchase. i gotta say, it's the best amp i've ever owned and usable in lots of applications.