1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender Super bassman vs. Orange AD 200 B MK3

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tinman 1967, Mar 31, 2014.

1. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

Alright, suppose you had the Orange ad The Super Bassman right in front of you, and we're told you could have either amp to choose., Free of charge! Brand new, which one do you choose and why? I'm welcome to any and all comments!

2. chadds

chadds

Mommy, I want the Orange one, it's pretty......:)

3. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

I sold my AD200B and bought a Super Bassman. Haven't regretted it for even a second.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Fender Super Bassman Please! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I would take the orange as I really like the tone they put out when pushed through a big cab, but wouldn't want to shell out the cash to get that single tone.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Between those two the super bassman hands down. Much more versatile with the classic fender eq and the "modern" channels, channel switching, higher powered, silent recording, 2/4/8 ohm switching.

The bassman has autobias though with the failures being reported I'm not sure if I'd list that as a feature in the "pro" or "con" column.

8. Tim1

Tim1

I own both and am sitting in front of them right now. I sold my AD200 when I bought the Super Bassman 300 a couple of years ago, then missed it so much that I recently shelled out and bought another (while still keeping the SB300)!
    The AD200 has a superb tone which the SB300, being so versatile, can almost cop. I really, really missed that tone and just had to replace it, even though I initially thought that close enough with the SB300 was good enough. The AD200 has some very special magic synergy going on with my Bergantino NV215 that I simply cannot live without. I just had to have both.
    That said, if I was in the position where I had to live with only one it would be the SB300 for its versatility and extra clean grunt over the Orange. And by the way, having owned two AD200s, I have never had the problem of running out of clean headroom - it does go incredibly loud and clean if you use a reasonably efficient cabinet, dime the master and use a passive bass IME.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd get the Orange since you could get more money for it, then I'd sell it and buy an SVT ;)

10. rodl2005

rodl2005

I've had SVT'S and got a Super Bassman 300 and I love it. It'll do everything the SVT does and Heaps more. And being 15lbs lighter isn't a bad thing neither. 😆
    I love SVT's but the SB300 is at least as good tonally but add the modern channel and it's a whole nother world added.
    Have played the Orange n liked it a lot too.
    Given s choice like you ask.
    The Super Bassman hands down.
    It's a classic amp.

11. tinman 1967

Jimmy M..... I knew that was comming eventually:)

12. Alexander

Alexander

Yeah, I love SVTs, but am really digging the Super. Only gigged it once so far, but the SB killed it! Never tried the Orange, so can't compare, but the Fender won't be going anywhere anytime soon!

13. nysbob

nysbob

This.

14. tinman 1967

Thanks folks, kind of leaning toward the super bassman (blonde) setting on top of my 2 orange OBC 115s . I guess it will kind of look like a big old orange cream sickle .... The only thing that concerns me is all the talk about this auto biasing failure... I'm thinking that it may be worth taking a chance.

15. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

Worst case, Fender has to repair the auto-bias. It's not that big of a deal IMO. I talked to a few of the local Fender authorized repair shops and they all said they've had to do zero repairs on the auto-bias. Now, I personally had two DOA amps but that could have been shipping, a bad batch, or coincidence. The third ones a charm though and has been kicking arse for almost a year without any problems whatsoever.

16. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Fender, hands down. Fantastic amp.

17. rodl2005

rodl2005

I haven't had a single problem with the auto bias on my SB300. I've also not heard of any with the 300. But, sure, a few probs with the 100T.

The SB300 is just a smokin amp. Will become a classic I think. Certainly sounds classic! !

18. Tim1

Tim1

I have had no problems with my autobias either. I do know a couple of people who did have autobias issues early on but these were solved quickly. Certainly there appeared to be nowhere near the number of issues with the sb300 than the 100t. You can buy with confidence and as Rod says, this amp is a keeper.

19. Back to Bassics

Back to Bassics

Could I have a Bassman 10 instead please?

20. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I own the Orange, and I love it. I bought it along with an Ampeg SVT 810 (Vietnamese made Ampeg) cab for a fantastic price. I have tried the Fender at a store and I liked it too. Given the choice, I'd stick with the Orange. Both are good.

21. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

If you've already got the OBC115's - you should go Orange.
    Says the guy with Orange cabs and an AD200B :ninja:

Personally - I thought the Super Bassmans were a nice amp (I was on the verge of a purchase before I came across the Orange), but the Orange made me laugh out loud at how fun it was to play.