1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fender tapewound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zontar, Mar 23, 2014.

1. zontar

zontar

Anybody ever try fender Tapewound strings?

I've been able to get comments on other brands of tapewound strings, which I am interested in trying out.

But I haven't heard too much about Fender's version, so I thought I'd check here.

If you've used them, please let me know why you liked them or didn't like them.

Thanks.

2. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I tried them and did not like how they felt like taped roundwounds. I prefer the ones with a more flatwound-esque feel.

3. zontar

zontar

I'm good with a roundwound feel, so that might not be a factor for me, but thanks for your answer.

4. Root 5

Root 5

Fender tapewounds are definitely the roughest feeling of all the brands; they have an almost half-round feel. I'd say they're brighter sounding than the other brands.

Bear in mind that if you go with Fender or Rotosound, you may have to widen your nut slots. D'Addario, GHS, Labella offer sets that fit most standard nuts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. I've used 'em for 13 years on my fretless. 2 sets:) Anyhoo, they're pretty low tension for their size (figuring the coating in the dimensions?), and work pretty well in the fretless application. Low finger noise, easy on the fretboard, easy on the fingertips, and easy on your digits if you've got arthritis. Sound is somewhere between a flat and a dead set of rounds, but you can EQ on your rig to some extent. They'll also last forever on a fretless, not sure about rubbing up against frets, though.

7. zontar

zontar

Thanks for the answers.
    These would be going on a fretless if I decide to go that route.

8. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Dodnt like em. Felt like plastic. Sounded like plastic.

9. kasbrey

kasbrey

I like the newer 9120m's .
    I also like the feel in comparison to LaBella white tapewounds as they feel (and sound) less plasticky to me. They sound very different to the LaBellas though - not as woody and thick, much more detailed but without a lot of the harmonic overtones of rounds.
    Fender string threads always seem to have comments that refer to the older sets.

10. deeptubes

deeptubes

I'm with Root on their tone. I found them to be much brighter than anticipated. They have much much more of a texture than D'Addario's nylons. They almost feel like coarse rounds wrapped in thin scotch tape, maybe even old VCR tape. The D'Addarios are super smooth. Those are wrapped with a thick nylon wrap and then ground down to size, which is what makes them so smooth. I have the Fenders on a fretless and the D'Addarios on a fretted.

11. zontar

zontar

I'm fine if they feel more like roundwounds--that's what Im used to.
    My fretted bass came with flat wounds and I didn't like the sound too much, but once I took off the mute and put on roundwounds I had a sound I loved.

So I prefer roundwounds.
    But with a fretless, well, I want to try some other new stuff, stringwise.

12. BassSpy

BassSpy

I use Rotosound TruBass 88s on my 5-string fretless. Very nice feel and very good sound. I had Fender tapewounds but never gave me the 'thump' I wanted playing stuff like reggae and even some jazz.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I think you'll probably like them, then. I thought they sounded like rounds covered in tape, too. Not as muffled as I thought they'd be, for sure. Too thick for my tastes, but if you can get around that, I predict you'll dig them on a fretless.

14. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I like them. They sound great on my Carvin ABG fretless and have a surprising amount of mwah. Their low tension isnot for everybody, however.

15. zontar

zontar

Well if I do decide to try them, or any brand of tapewounds, I'll let everybody know.

16. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote Supporting Member

I used them on an ABG... they sounded darn good on it.