1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fender TBP-1 Bass Pre...any good demos?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Dec 3, 2013.

1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    I've been interested in this preamp really since it came out but I haven't been able to find any decent video or audio demos for it. Would any of you be able to do a demo or point me in the right direction? I would love to hear how the overdrive blends in.
    Thank you in advance,
    Brent
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Check Bass Tasters! :cool:

http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/Fender_TBP-1.html
  3. groovaholic

groovaholic Supporting Member

It's a really warm sounding pre, but was a little "soft" sounding for the band I was in when I owned it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the OD blend -- it didn't sound as "organic" as I wanted it to.

But, the clip on BassTasters sounds accurate to me -- so if that clip sounds good to you, you'll probably like the pre.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

This is a great description, and really mirrors my experience.

If you're using this for an R&B, Motown, reggae, etc. band it would kill. If you need a lot of definition and clarity, I would look elsewhere.
  6. BrentSimons

Thanks Guys!,
    I come from the Gallien Krueger/ SWR camp so this might be completely opposite than what I'm looking for. But who knows, something different? :)
    Take Care,
    Brent
  7. groovaholic

groovaholic Supporting Member

Well, if you're used to the punch and immediacy of a GK, the TBP-1 will feel completely different to you.

What features of the TBP-1 were most appealing to you?
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I like the old school warmth of the TBP-1. Classic.
  9. BrentSimons

Tubes vs solid state, footswitchable overdrive, para eq.

Brent
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

Agreed. Very nice preamp. It didn't work for my projects at the time I owned it, but it was definitely high quality. If I had been doing something more old school, or in need of that type of tone it would have been perfect.