Fender Telecaster Bass club #1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodl2005, Jul 25, 2012.

1. rodl2005

rodl2005

This thread to talk about, ask questions about & show off all Fender Telecaster Basses made in late 60's early 70's & later MP Tele's & Squier VM TB.
    Slab Body or Telecaster on headstock or re-issue.

We're JUST lookin' at Fenders with "TELECASTER BASS" on the headstock & or the newer MP Telecaster bass. Oh & the Squier TB with the mudbucker.
    SO- "telecaster bass" on headstock & or MUD-bucker pup

If that's all OK with The Original thread's maker Rust Preacher- who's got 2 superb mud bucker tele's & a V4BH/Aggie rig, of which pics are posted on p.2

See Rust Preachers' original thread for ALL tele bass types.

Other styles similar- see Rust Preachers original TELE BASS thread-(link coming)

Pics for your No's.

I'll start but I'll take no. 79 coz that was me Dads No his Ariel bike he won state scrambles on in the late 50's

'74 Fender Telecaster Bass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No's
    1 Jim B52
    2 GbassNorth
    3 musikman
    4 Fenderslaper
    5 PlungerModerno
    6 Rip Topaz
    7 Stewie26
    8 Rust Preacher
    9 Bearston
    10 JvN
    79 Rodl2005
  2. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I got one. made in 1971. It's been modded a bit.
    Pic is 35 years old, but I still have it. Wish I still had that sweet velour shirt.
    [​IMG]

Actually, there might already be a Tele Bass club.
  3. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Cool. I'll take a number for my early 1990's CIJ Flower Tele and my brand new Butterscotch Blonde Tele modern player. The Flower Tele has an action to die for and that cutting single coil sound. The Blonde is a Pig! She just grunts on the neck pickup in chest pounding subsonic waves then you can dial in the clarity you want with the bridge pickup. It's a dub bass dream.
    [​IMG]
  4. rodl2005

rodl2005

If there is, I'll contact em & add us in.
  5. muzikman7

muzikman7

There is a Tele club but what the hell. [​IMG]
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

I'll incorporate us. Or assimilate....
  7. paganjack

paganjack

I played one of these in a GC the other day and I must say I was both impressed and tempted. It's a super fat sounding bass! Cool looking too!
  8. rodl2005

rodl2005

Was it a '70's tele, or a modern player? A'70's I take it. If you can remember & don't mind, could you describe it & at what price was it?
  9. rodl2005

rodl2005

No's
    1 Jim B52
    2 GbassNorth
    3 musikman
    4 Fenderslaper
    79 Rodl2005[/QUOTE]
  10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Rod - I've played a '70s tele with the single pickup at the neck. It was a decent bass with deep tone but not a lot of definition. The one I own (and is shown in the pic) is a brand new Fender Modern Player (made in China). The pickups are technically split coil precision pickups but in a humbucker style housing. Because of the locations of the pickups one at the neck and one near the bridge you get a relatively wide difference in the pickup tones.
    On the old 70s tele I played the pickup was rather mushy. On the Modern Player tele the neck pickup isn't mushy it's balls deep, I mean really really dub bass, in a rap hip hop and regge kind of way. But when you dial in the bridge pickup (which is also a very deep dark sounding split coil - not sure how they wound these pickups) you start to bring in the clarity needed to provide note definition to the neck pickup. So on the Modern Player bass if you want a ton of fundamental bass you got it and you can go up a bit from there by dialing in the bridge pickup.
    This is NOT a bright bass, even with a maple fb. In it's brightest setting with the neck pu off and the bridge full up it sits about middle of the tone spectrum for a P bass. It will never be my main player but it sure is a neat tool to have for those times when you just need a driving beat with a lot of fundamental underlying gooeyness. I paid about $500 on sale for it at GC.
    PS - I tried a set of Ernie Ball Cobalts on it thinking it would bring up the brightness a bit - wrong - sounded like crap so I took them right off. I don't think this bass was meant to have bright strings on it. The strings that come with the bass are great but I'll probably continue to experiment to see what else this bass can do with different strings. My next try will probably be La Bella tapewounds - those should kill on this bass.
  11. rodl2005

rodl2005

Thanx for the reply GbassNorth
    Interesting stuff. I hope a local store gets in a MP tele, I'd love to try one.
    I'd like to try some tapes on my '74 but will have to wait, I've some GHS tapes coming from bass strings online. According to Vin-tone they should fit the string-thru
  12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

I'm running chromes on mine. Great match IMO. The bridge Pickup bites, and the neck is deep Deep DEEEEEEP :D.

Here's crummy photos of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back with the stock strings. :meh:

Also there is a 'parallel thread' here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/official-telecaster-bass-club-620972/index20.html (the page with mine on it :D). No numbers.

I'll take #5. Any objections, we can duel with fish:
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    I just played a Tele Modern Player bass.
    I agree, what a monster tone. It goes deep.
    Flats and my 2x15 cab, It will burp.
  14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm in. The one on the left is a Fender (60th Anniversary P), most definitely a "tele" bass.
    [​IMG]
  15. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Fo shizzle! Really nice finishes :)
  16. rodl2005

rodl2005

Those MP Teles are pretty sweet.
    #5 PlungerModerno
    #6 Rip Topaz
  17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I was really hoping to be impressed by the MP, but before I got a chance to play one I found my 60th Ann.
    [​IMG]

When I finally got a chance to sit down with the MP, the one that I played (in a GC) had such a horrid setup that I just didn't give it a chance. instead I bought a Dillion 5204, which is an OK Chinese knockoff, I keep it strung with flats.
    [​IMG]

After some mods, she's a real looker, too.
    [​IMG]

Right now I'm holding out for a sunburst Cowpoke, or an Elite II (under the right circumstances). Of course that is all dependent on the wife's approval after my buying spree at the beginning of this year.
  18. rodl2005

rodl2005

SWEET!!!!!
  19. rodl2005

rodl2005

I accept ANY duel with Fish - CLASSIC!!
  20. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I am in. 73 Tele on far right of picture.

Attached Files: